Thread: GPU Fan curve not increasing until GPU hits max temp

Beans

Exclamation GPU Fan curve not increasing until GPU hits max temp

I'm using an RX 580 with a powerful cooling system strapped onto it.

I've noticed that my Fan RPM doesn't ramp up when my temperature increases, instead opting to let my GPU temperature increase with a slow and consistent 760RPM before reaching max temp (75C) and blowing my fans at 2200RPM.
    My GPU throttles itself to maintain temperature after max temps are reached as well, making long video/animation rendering painfully slow.

Is there any way to allow my fan RPM to react to temperature before it hits the maximum?
    Last edited by iron-squid; July 18th, 2020 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to include the word "Fan", to implicitly specify my cooling system

Beans

Re: GPU Fan curve not increasing until GPU hits max temp

Quick note: I've tried installing Radeon Profile and CoreCtrl, but neither are avaliable in their respective repositories.
    I've also ran into issues attempting to compile both programs that I was unable to resolve.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My 580 works correctly, i also have a high performance cooler on it
    typically the vBIOS is programed to target a fan RPM and the sense reading is expected to be near what the stock fans do
    what i ended up doing was connecting the sense a fan that has a similar RPM range to the stock fan, there is one issue with my exact solution and that is 0 RPM mode (default on windows) my fan that reports the RPM does support 0 RPM, but the main fan does not as a result the large fan sees 0% PWM and assumes it is a power fan and spins at 100%

If you extract your card's VBIOS (use GPU-Z on windows) i can take a look at it and modify it and you can flash the card with it using atiflash/amdflash
    please link to your cooling solution so i know what your fan's specs are, the results may not be perfect, but hopefully better than what you have now
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

My cooling solution is the XFX model of the RX 580, which is said to be powerful for cooling. Where can I send you my VBIOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

zip the file and attach it to a post
    so you are using the stock cooler for the card, did you get the card new or used?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I was able to download Radeon Profile when posting an issue to the github page.
    It turns out that I was using the wrong repository...

Sorry for wasting your time.

(I'm able to ramp up my fans now.)