Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Call for testing the current daily Groovy iso files

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Call for testing the current daily Groovy iso files

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Is it because I booted directly from the iso file that it defaults to UEFI mode for installation or is this how the iso will always boot in future; can a choice be made when you use dd or mkusb to copy the iso to a USB drive?
    When booting, the BIOS/UEFI system decides in which mode it should boot. If a drive can boot in both modes, you can probably set a preferred mode (in some BIOS/UEFI systems).

When cloning with dd or mkusb, you cannot do anything to change this.

When making a persistent live drive with mkusb-dus, it tries to make it bootable in both boot modes (and it is usually successful with Ubuntu family iso files). You can disable one of the boot modes afterwards, if you wish, because the content of the persistent USB drive can be edited on the file level with file editing tools or for example gparted.

But it is probably easier to modify the settings of the BIOS/UEFI system to boot only in one boot mode, UEFI or BIOS (alias CSM alias legacy) mode.

Edit: It is also possible to modify to boot structure with xorriso according to Thomas Schmitt's instructions in this link
    Last edited by sudodus; October 13th, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Alas it still didn't boot on

- hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)
    - hp dc7900 (c2d-e8400, 4gb, intel 4 series integrated i915)
    I think you did the things correctly. But your old HPs are stubborn.

Please try also with the current daily Ubuntu Desktop iso file,
    Code:
    $ ls -l groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    -rw------- 1 sudodus sudodus 2894153728 okt 13 08:36 groovy-desktop-amd64.iso

$ sha256sum groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    3b92cb0d427998b5a7f58377d0204ef56e3f21e8748331bef4005f8f244e814f groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    It works much better for me than the previous one. It needs no tweaks with xorriso

When cloned this iso file boots in my son's HP Elitebook 8560p and also in the Lenovo V130 (in UEFI mode with secure boot).

Let us hope that your HP computers will accept it too.

If not, Thomas Schmitt has suggested a tweak - to convert the iso file's partition table to MSDOS alias MBR with xorriso and test if the tweaked iso file will work.
    Last edited by sudodus; October 13th, 2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: ... It needs no tweaks with xorriso

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Edit:

Call for testing the current daily Groovy iso files

The current daily Ubuntu Groovy iso file is modified, so that it gets a valid GUID partition table (GPT).

Code:
    -rw------- 1 sudodus sudodus 2936969216 okt 9 21:15 groovy-desktop-amd64.iso

$ md5sum groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    00cbcce8855c00dd2231077e3a01aebc groovy-desktop-amd64.iso

$ sudo gdisk groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    [sudo] password for sudodus: 
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.3

Partition table scan:
      MBR: protective
      BSD: not present
      APM: not present
      GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): q
    After this modification a USB drive with the system cloned from the iso file can boot also problematic Lenovo V series computers, for example my Lenovo V130 laptop, in UEFI mode with secure boot.

I checked that it works also in a Dell Precision M4800 both in BIOS mode and UEFI mode.

There have been many modifications of the boot structure of the Groovy iso files. There may be regressions for computers, that we (the testers involved in squashing the bug) have not tested. Please wait for the next daily Groovy iso file of your favourite flavour of Ubuntu, and test that it can boot correctly in the computers, where you want it to work.

The iso file must be released at or after Oct 9 21:15 for this modification to be there.

See the long story at Bug #1886148 - failure to boot groovy daily

Original post:

The boot structure of the Ubuntu family Groovy iso files for PC computers, the amd64 iso files, is modified in a radical way and it has caused problems to boot. The problem has been solved for most of the computers tested by us 'isotesters', but there are still problems.

Both older and newer computers are still failing to boot into the current daily Groovy iso files. Those computers boot into USB drives cloned from the daily iso files uploaded during June (before the radical modification of the boot structure). It seems the developers have no more ideas. See Bug report #1886148.

So in order to be ready for a situation, where some computers fail to boot from USB drives created via the standard method, cloning, I suggest that we help each other test if our computers work, and if not, if there is some workaround for the problematic computers.

- I know (from the bug report) that there are problems with some Core2Duo computers (but I have no such computer).

- I have a fairly new computer (the newest one, that I can access for testing right now, Lenovo V130 bought in Dec 2019), that cannot boot (in UEFI mode with secure boot). This computer works with Focal iso files and with Groovy iso files from June. This computer finds the USB drive in the temporary boot menu (via F12), but skips directly into the grub menu of the internal drive, when I try from a cloned USB drive.

I found that the Lenovo V130 works as expected, when mkusb-dus creates a persistent live drive with the setting 'upefi' - using usb-pack-efi. There is a menu entry for a live-only session for people who want that, so I would say that it is a workaround.

We can suspect that there is more than one mode of failure, different for older and newer computers. We (end users) can hardly guess what needs to be done, but we might be able to find workarounds, when cloned USB drives won't boot.

Examples of workarounds, that I can think of (to be worthwhile testing),

- persistent live by mkusb-dus with various settings (not only 'upefi')
    - 'grub-n-iso' or 'isoboot' for example according to this link
    - Unetbootin
    - Rufus (in Windows)
    - burned DVD disk (I guess there is a DVD drive in your old computers).

Finally, new workarounds are welcome
    I should have read this before posting my question

One dumb question - will it be possible to still use msdos/mbr partition tables if using the "something else" option during installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I should have read this before posting my question

One dumb question - will it be possible to still use msdos/mbr partition tables if using the "something else" option during installation?
    I can't see why not.

Nearly all my installs use MBR (not GPT), both boxes I use and QA-test installs. I mainly use flavors though.

Let us hope that your HP computers will accept it too.

If not, Thomas Schmitt has suggested a tweak - to convert the iso file's partition table to MSDOS alias MBR with xorriso and test if the tweaked iso file will work.
    Both a success, and failure ?

Boots & completed QA install on (AM test)

FAILS TO BOOT on

I'm working on another issue currently, I'll look some more at that later..

Later edit:
    ------------

It no longer boots on (PM testing)

here I'm bewildered?

I ejected thumb-drive, re-inserted, flashing of thumb-drive indicates to me (subjectively) it's being read, then ignored & hdd of 'recent' QA-install loads (and fast-flashing stops on thumb-drive)

Box has been turned off, let sit awhile, and try again & nope; it won't boot again on dc7700. It for sure did ~three hours ago (the box didn't have a bootable installed OS before my earlier success!!)
    Last edited by guiverc; October 14th, 2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: add the PM testing results, which differs to AM test ???????????

Beans

Neither Latitude E6400's or an E6510 will even recognize the image on USB. The E6400's are C2D (both P series and T series cpu's fail), and the E6510 has an i7 M620. I've tried creating the live USB's both with Focal's startup disc creator and uNetbootin - no dice! I'll try a DVD tomorrow as time allows. Prior images work fine so it's not hardware settings - usually you just press F12 repeatedly to display the one time boot menu and select USB, but in this case no USB appears to be found.

Beans
    Hidden!

This should be independent of the boot structure of the iso files, so I think: Yes.

If you fail, you are probably affected by another [new?] bug.

Beans
    Hidden!

Neither Latitude E6400's or an E6510 will even recognize the image on USB. The E6400's are C2D (both P series and T series cpu's fail), and the E6510 has an i7 M620. I've tried creating the live USB's both with Focal's startup disc creator and uNetbootin - no dice! I'll try a DVD tomorrow as time allows. Prior images work fine so it's not hardware settings - usually you just press F12 repeatedly to display the one time boot menu and select USB, but in this case no USB appears to be found.
    I'm glad you found this before the release of Groovy.

So now there are problems not only with old HPs but also old Dells, and you can add more heat to the bug report #1899308

Please be sure to test the current Ubuntu Desktop Groovy iso file when cloned (for example via Startup Disk Creator or mkusb) in the old Dells:

Ubuntu Groovy version dated Okt 13 08:36 from zsync,

- '20201013.1' in the testing tracker
    Code:
    -rw------- 1 sudodus sudodus 2894153728 okt 13 08:36 groovy-desktop-amd64.iso

$ sha256sum groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    3b92cb0d427998b5a7f58377d0204ef56e3f21e8748331bef4005f8f244e814f groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    It might work, and anyway your test result will be valuable information for squashing this bug.

I think the old Dells will boot from

- DVD

- a tweaked iso file converted to msdos partition table using xorriso according to instructions from Thomas Schmitt in the bug report #1899308

- a persistent live drive made with mkusb with the settings

. 'usb-pack-efi' and
    . 'msdos partition table'

- a 'nopersistent' USB drive created by mkusb-plug might work. See the details at

. bug report 1899308, comment #41 and #56 and
    . help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/plug
    Last edited by sudodus; October 15th, 2020 at 02:20 PM. Reason: 'nopersistent' workaround might work

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Both a success, and failure ?

Boots & completed QA install on (AM test)

FAILS TO BOOT on

I'm working on another issue currently, I'll look some more at that later..

Later edit:
    ------------

It no longer boots on (PM testing)

here I'm bewildered?

I ejected thumb-drive, re-inserted, flashing of thumb-drive indicates to me (subjectively) it's being read, then ignored & hdd of 'recent' QA-install loads (and fast-flashing stops on thumb-drive)

Box has been turned off, let sit awhile, and try again & nope; it won't boot again on dc7700. It for sure did ~three hours ago (the box didn't have a bootable installed OS before my earlier success!!)
    If I understand correctly, you tested Lubuntu, but I think the latest and greatest boot structure suggested by Thomas Schmitt is only present in Ubuntu, the current Groovy iso file '20201013.1' in the testing tracker, dated Okt 13 08:36 from zsync.
    Last edited by sudodus; October 14th, 2020 at 07:51 AM. Reason: If I understand correctly ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have now also installed the daily pending iso of Ubuntu from two days ago very successfully in KVM without any difficulties.
    I again chose to install using UEFI firmware and so far it looks good and works well.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If I understand correctly, you tested Lubuntu, but I think the latest and greatest boot structure suggested by Thomas Schmitt is only present in Ubuntu, the current Groovy iso file '20201013.1' in the testing tracker, dated Okt 13 08:36 from zsync.
    Yep.

I see you requested (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cd...08/comments/31) me to test that... but I ran out of energy before doing it.

If you still want me to test 20201013.1 let me know.

I grabbed & tested 20201014 (main Ubuntu) and it responds identically to Lubuntu on

Refer https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cd...08/comments/40
    I included a link to http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...s/1303/results where some details are recorded (I tried booting it more times that I bothered recording on iso.qa.ubu)

In summary it booted first time on dc7700, but subsequently refused to boot. Subsequent re-tries were simple reboots, to turning off & back on, different USB ports, including various waits between retries (with box off, up to ~90 mins)

This is exactly the same behavior as I get with Lubuntu groovy daily (last two days anyway; before then I go NO boots whatsoever on dc7700).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast