Thread: Ubuntu Studio: New upgrade 20.04 crashes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Ubuntu Studio: New upgrade 20.04 crashes

I upgraded from Ubuntu Studio 18.1 ( fresh install but user on separate partition) and I am having various problems:

Audacity crashes - it's random, works for awhile, but always a mouse click that kills it.

Yoshimi freezes - again, I touch it with the mouse and it just stops working, but can not be closed, and a new instance will not run.

I don't know where to start to isolate my problem(s).

Advice?
    Rob
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS
    Dell Optiplex 7010MT , Intel Quad Core i5-3550 3.30Ghz
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 & Presonus Audiobox USB (red!)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Studio: New upgrade 20.04 crashes

Since no one else has jumped in yet, let me give you what I would do:

Try another mouse and try another USB port.

If none of that helps then boot from your installation medium and see if things work from that. If so, I would try another installation.

I am not sure what you mean by user being on seperate partition, but I am doubting that that would be the issue.

Beans

Hi,

I am having a similar issue. It's a fresh install to 20.04 and not an upgrade. When the screen freezes, I can still move my mouse across the screen, but can't click on anything. I have to shut the laptop down holding the power button and then restart.
    As long as I stay "active" on the laptop- clicking things in programs, etc, at least within 2 min, i can keep the programs responsive to the mouse. But after 3min or so, studio is frozen again and all I have is a mouse that can't click on anything.
    I have an Nvidia driver and have read a thread or two about possible driver issues.
    Still more investigating to go, athough, I am planning a re-install if I don't hear of a fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Thank you for your comments, elbowjeans & Autodave

elbowjeans said "It's a fresh install to 20.04 and not an upgrade "

I think my " fresh install but user on separate partition" is not the same as as upgrade - it wipes the system files. I really do not know how this effectts the music software, except that all of the apps that come with Ubuntu Studio are replaced, but preferences are not changed... I think ?

I have turned away from Audacity, and started using MusE, first as an experiment and then in ernest as it seems to do all I need and the retention of settings seems better: The list of thing I need to do to get going from a cold start is manageable.

All that said, MusE crashes under only one circumstance: If I am trying to click on a midi part and miss the target, MusE will crash and I have to re-boot.

Since there is a work-around in MusE ( be more careful) I am not persuing this for now, but I will check back here and am not making this "solved"
    Rob
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS
    Dell Optiplex 7010MT , Intel Quad Core i5-3550 3.30Ghz
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 & Presonus Audiobox USB (red!)