Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I borked my system and I don't know how

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: I borked my system and I don't know how

@TheFu Thanks, so what your saying is that the term 'snapshot' has a different technical meaning depending on the context.

If in the context of a file system it means an in built capability to temporarily freeze an amount data so a complete copy can be properly and safely made of it, before that data is then un-frozen.

But in the context of Time shift a 'snapshot' is simply a record of the changes made since the previous snapshot, and ultimately all snapshots will be "descendants" of a more complete image.

I hope I've got that right!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    If you like messing arround with OS i would really recommend virtualbox or similar virtualisation software.
    Thanks for the explanation, I'll look into setting up a VM at some point so I can play around with this kind of thing and see what happens before I commit to doing it on my real OS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    But in the context of Time shift a 'snapshot' is simply a record of the changes made since the previous snapshot, and ultimately all snapshots will be "descendants" of a more complete image.

I hope I've got that right!
    Someone more familiar with Timeshift would need to comment. I can't tell and it could be that Timeshift on btrfs-mode uses 1 or both meanings.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Someone more familiar with Timeshift would need to comment. I can't tell and it could be that Timeshift on btrfs-mode uses 1 or both meanings.
    It's a terminology problem. Timeshift uses the term "Snapshot" for a backup, which is somewhat "marketing-speak". Sounds smart to some.
    It's actually an incremental backup, at least in rsync mode. Never tried btrfs myself, so can't say.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    It's a terminology problem. Timeshift uses the term "Snapshot" for a backup, which is somewhat "marketing-speak". Sounds smart to some.
    It's actually an incremental backup, at least in rsync mode. Never tried btrfs myself, so can't say.
    the marketing ploy explains the confusion then.

well like i said there are a couple of other easy to use GUI apps for backup out there. i tried kbackup. it didn't do anything at the time, just pretended it is backing up. probably they fixed the issue already, as i can see there is an update look. anyway sometimes if something doesn't work, it might be a good idea to try something else.

here is a nice list of backup software on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    the marketing ploy explains the confusion then.
    anyway sometimes if something doesn't work, it might be a good idea to try something else.
    Never said it didn't work. In fact, Timeshift has saved my butt dozens of times until now, including restore after a complete new install with HDD/SSD format.

My experience is, that it is very reliable, but you need to keep an eye on the settings and define exactly what you backup or restore. Expect it's the same with other backup programs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    My experience is, that it is very reliable, but you need to keep an eye on the settings and define exactly what you backup or restore. Expect it's the same with other backup programs.
    this is the same with all.

there are some that offer reasonable and sane defaults, but you still need to do a check of these settings before committing to the service.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Marking the thread as solved! Thank you all for the input

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123