Thread: Can torrent apps in ubuntu like qbittorrent, transmission access my files?

Beans

Question Can torrent apps in ubuntu like qbittorrent, transmission access my files?

Can torrent apps in ubuntu like qbittorrent and transmission access my files? What permission it requires is not shown in the ubuntu software center.

Beans

Re: Can torrent apps in ubuntu like qbittorrent, transmission access my files?

No, unless you are seeding them. The client will only seed what is in the client. This is the same in any OS. BitTorrent clients don't just harvest and offer random files on your system. That's not how torrents work.

Beans

You mean that only the torrent files which I download from them is shared, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Unless you turn off seeding, a torrent client will seed things you download until it reaches the limits you set. For instance, I usually set a share limit of 2.0, meaning my client will seed files I download until I've uploaded twice the filesize.

It's considered really bad form not to seed files you've downloaded.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users