Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Ubuntu 16.04

Beans

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Ubuntu 16.04

I have a current ubuntu 16.04 machine which has one GPU GeForce GTX 970. I am now going to add one more GPU and thinking about Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme. I wonder if it would work on Ubuntu 16.04? and if so will it work along with my older GeForce GTX 970?
    I also wonder if anyone could advise me which one is better among these:

• Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme 11G
    • Gigabyte GeForce Aorus RTX 2080 Ti
    • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme Ubuntu 16.04

i would suggest to at least upgrade the kernel (use HWE).

2 different cards might not work well together. it depends on how well this option is supported by nvidia.

looks like new AMD cards will be better than these. not sure if they are selling yet.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i would suggest to at least upgrade the kernel (use HWE).

2 different cards might not work well together. it depends on how well this option is supported by nvidia.

looks like new AMD cards will be better than these. not sure if they are selling yet.

Okay which one of these three you think is the best? and could you recommend some AMDs to check? Thanks for your help.

Beans

Make sure you have 430.64 driver: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv..._filter=xenial

will it work along with my older GeForce GTX 970 ... and could you recommend some AMDs to check?
    If you're going to try and run a GTX970 at the same time as a new card, you are better off sticking to Nvidia.

EDIT: As to which card is better, they all look the same with just a little difference in clock speed... https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/...6707,6731,6732
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    The 2080 is superior to the 970.
    That's not what the OP was asking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post

If you're going to try and run a GTX970 at the same time as a new card, you are better off sticking to Nvidia.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/...6707,6731,6732
    But all these are Nvidia, right? So they should be okay with the older GPU, right?

Beans

What are you trying to do with multiple GPU's? The 2080 has a ton of outputs. Do you have more than 6 displays?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    What are you trying to do with multiple GPU's? The 2080 has a ton of outputs. Do you have more than 6 displays?
    No, I have one monitor, mainly I use them for image processing, data modelling,....so the more GPUs the faster I can process data.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by fcis View Post
    I am now going to add one more GPU and thinking about Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme.
    The 970 is a 150 W part. The 2080 Ti is a 300 W part. Running both of them means that you'll need 450 W of additional power and cooling on top of that needed by the rest of the system. While it's possible that you gave yourself a +200% overhead when you initially built your system, it's not a given.

Upgrading to at least 18.04, but likely 20.04, will make things easier because of the ease of using a newer kernel for the newer driver. If you want to keep using the old card as well as the new card you'll want the new card to be from Nvidia, as already mentioned. Mixing the proprietary driver with an open source graphics stack (see Optimus) is a complete pain. The single proprietary driver supports a wide range of Nvidia cards.

You won't be able to use both cards together, since the method to do that changed from SLI to another thing that I can't remember the name of, you'd need both cards to have similar capabilities, and it wasn't that well supported anyway. You should still be able to use both as CUDA targets, though.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast