Thread: Where should I start for building the developers version for x86?

Beans

Where should I start for building the developers version for x86?

Hi, i would like to build Lubuntu newest release for x86, where should I start?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where should I start for building the developers version for x86?

If you want to get involved in developing for the 20.10 LUbuntu release, you should probably lurk in their IRC, Discord and email lists. Follow their forums (I assume they have forums) and learn about Qt programming, limitations, liabilities. They probably have a bug tracking system, find some easy bugs and close those. Bet they'd love you for helping. But don't expect them to teach how to program.

The newest release is 20.04. Nothing has been "released" besides that. You can pull all the source and spend the next week compiling those programs, if you like.

20.10 is for developers only. It will only have 9 months of support from October when it gets released. In 2021, all the "releases" will not be LTS, so they will get only 9 months of support from their release date as well.

If you are an application developer, it is usually best to target LTS releases for support. Today, those are 16.04, 18.04 and 20.04. Right now, those are the only useful releases to target because support for 19.10 ends in the next 1-3 weeks - because it wasn't an LTS release.

I've written this stuff due to the low "bean count" for your account and the wide open question.