Thread: Seeking guidance in how to install and use wordpress

Beans

Seeking guidance in how to install and use wordpress

First off, please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. I am trying to install WordPress under Ubuntu 20.04. I followed the instructions in this link https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04...e-installation. Once everything was installed and configured I opened my browser to 127.0.0.1 and received the following error message: PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension. I've done Google searches on how to resolve the problems which has to do with outdated extensions, but I haven't found a solution that I can understand and follow. Please let me know if there is any additional information I need to supply. Thank you in advance. Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Seeking guidance in how to install and use wordpress

You should install the lamp-server package

Code:
    sudo apt install lamp-server^
    The tilde ("^") is required. If you install the package, you'll get all the little pieces that interconnect Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

You should then be able to unpack the WP .zip archive in the root of the directory you've designated as the location for the website. By default it is /var/www/html, though you can change it to another directory if you have experience with Apache. If not, stick with the default for the moment. To install anything into /var/www/html you'll need to use "sudo" since that directory is owned by the "root" (administrative) user.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you. I think this was exactly what I was looking for. Scott

Beans

Hello, I've successfully installed lamp-server. Would you please tell me where I can go for step by step instructions on where to go from here. I have a webpage that I created with DreamWeaver and which is hosted by Arvixe. My goal is to be able to update it using WordPress because the DreamWeaver software is way too expensive. Thanks in advance and please let me know what additional information I need to share. Scott

Beans

Start here:

https://wordpress.org/support/articl...all-wordpress/

Dreamweaver is outdated anyway, I am always surprised people are still using it. You do need a decent IDE though, my first preference is PHP Storm but that is also costly. Netbeans is free and does nearly everything Storm does. Start here on setting up NetBeans:

https://netbeans.org/community/releases/82/install.html

You will probably encounter challenges installing Netbeans, mostly around getting Java to work properly. The second thing to watch for is Netbeans has several distributions tailored to languages - for example, it's different for Java or app development than PHP. You want to tailor your Netbeans install for PHP, HTML, and Javascript if you are going to be working with Wordpress.

Last, note that Wordpress is a web-based framework. I know you are probably referring to the usage of Dreamweaver to update the pages, but Wordpress is not a "replacement" for Dreamweaver. Netbeans would be though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You should install the lamp-server package

Code:
    sudo apt install lamp-server^
    The tilde ("^") is required. If you install the package, you'll get all the little pieces that interconnect Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

You should then be able to unpack the WP .zip archive in the root of the directory you've designated as the location for the website. By default it is /var/www/html, though you can change it to another directory if you have experience with Apache. If not, stick with the default for the moment. To install anything into /var/www/html you'll need to use "sudo" since that directory is owned by the "root" (administrative) user.
    "^" is a caret
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret

"~" is a tilde
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilde

Beans

Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate your patience with me too. Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Oops.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users