Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which smartphone brand do you think provides best service in least price?

Beans

Question Which smartphone brand do you think provides best service in least price?

Which smartphone brand do you think provides best service in least price?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Which smartphone brand do you think provides best service in least price?

Seriously? iPhone. I cannot find a better service. Fortunately there are easy ways to sync iPhone with your computer on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by EuclideanCoffee View Post
    Seriously? iPhone. I cannot find a better service. Fortunately there are easy ways to sync iPhone with your computer on Ubuntu.
    in least price. probably they mean what offers the most for the money. that is definitely not iphone which is overrated. the tech they use is mostly not cutting edge but slightly behind competitors. that might not be a bad thing since they use tried and tested stuff.

but the question is here what is mean by service here?

otherwise i think oneplus phones offer the most for the money. if you are on budget then usually Xioami but not always. especially when others have sales.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

overrated. the tech they use is mostly not cutting edge but slightly behind competitors

Cutting edge does not equal quality. I've used the cutting edge phones from work. Every single non-iPhone phone I received broke within a year, due to battery, firmware, or software.

I was given an iPhone from a friend, for free. And it has worked for 3 years as a personal phone. Cheapest and most reliable phone I've owned is an old iPhone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm on my second LG Stylo. I like using the stylus to type. If you buy the subsidized Amazon version, it's a very good deal at $200.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Stylo-Alex...dp/B07W8T2N9L/
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

We do Tracfone from HSN and for $79.99 to $99.99 we can get an LG smartphone with 1500 minutes / 1500 texts / 1500 MBs of data for a year which is enough for our use and Verizon is the carrier.

Tracfone ain't for everyone however for us it works great with zero complaints because we don't live on our cell phones.

When the year is up we buy new smartphones with the same plans and a new number.

We buy the phones to have for emergency use and our convenience and not socializing we're old.

LG smartphones that we get work great and we have no complaints.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The next phone I buy I'm looking at something with Android One. My phones usually run out of support while they're still working as advertised. I have a Motorola from probably 2015 and it's still working great. It gets used only for calls and texts.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

So far, nobody has mentioned security. If you are at all concerned with avoiding identity theft, then security updates to your OS become an issue. Android on average seems to update their phones about twice over a 2 year period. After that, forget about it; buy a new phone. Apple, although expensive, tends to provide updates much more often and for many more years. Other OS's for phones have too short a track record to predict. You get what you pay for!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The one that is under $100, has an unlocked boot loader, isn't made in mainland China and is well supported by non-Google versions of Android. In short, none.

I'm extremely anti-spying, which means anti-google. I don't want any devices from google again. I've owned enough to have learned they drop support 5 yrs sooner than I'd like for devices that are working perfectly.

Don't get me started about Apple, but at least they support their OS on devices a very long time and don't appear to be selling our data without a clear "opt-in" method. Still, I just can see paying the Apple-tax.

So for now, I'm using a Motorola flip phone with 20 days of standby that I've had for over a decade on a $3/month voice-only plan. I have my Nexus4, just without any cell-phone capabilities to use on wifi networks and for GPS stuff running an old version of LineageOS. I haven't really needed a smartphone since 2008, though work provided a Blackberry since 1999 - 2008 with upgrades every 2 yrs. I still miss the BB thumb-keyboard. I could touch-type on it almost as fast as on my IBM 101M keyboard. No other devices since then have compared - though the games are better.
    Before the Nexus4, I used a Nokia N800 running Debian. That thing was amazing for the time! It still works, but hasn't been patched in years. When the N900 came out, I wanted one, but an ex-MSFT VP took over the company and killed all Debian-based devices at Nokia, tried to destroy the market value of Nokia, so that Microsoft could buy that company cheaper. AND they got away with it! MSFT effectively killed off Nokia, leaving only the core "feature phones" and internet firewalls left. So sad.

I suppose if you spend most of your day away from home, in a big city, then a smartphone could be seen as a necessity. Even when I worked in midtown (big city), I always saw a phone as a chain to my desk and would have it auto-shutdown every day at 7pm and turn on at 8am the next morning. I've had jobs where I was on-call 24/7/350 and wasn't allowed to leave the the work site area. Promised myself that I'd never have a role like that again. Getting called to physically go into a secure facility at 3am with ZERO outside connectivity gets old.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Motorola. Preferably one that can be rooted and a custom ROM installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast