Thread: Is this possible to use wifi network in ubuntu without using additional wifi router?

Beans

Question Is this possible to use wifi network in ubuntu without using additional wifi router?

Is this possible to use wifi network in ubuntu without using additional wifi router? My computer has internal wifi adaptor inspite I need to use external wifi rputer in ubuntu,but I can access wifi without using external wifi router in SuperX 5.0.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is this possible to use wifi network in ubuntu without using additional wifi rout

The typical usage of an WiFi card is connecting to an access point (AP) AKA hotspot that may or may not be provided by/integrated in a router but typically is just a part/feature of said router.

As such, I don't understand your question. Please describe what are you trying to connect and what's different in SuperX, merely a Debian/Ubuntu based distro where no major differences are to be expected?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is this possible to use wifi network in ubuntu without using additional wifi rout

The WiFi adapter in the computer is a wireless radio transmitter/receiver. It can connect to other nearby wireless transmitters/receivers that are in range and designed to operate according to the standard by which WiFi adapters operate.

A wireless radio transmitter/receiver that connects to an Internet Service Provider (ISP) by means of a telephone land line or to other computers/servers by a cable (ethernet) is called a router or hub.

If you can access the internet using Super X then you must be connecting to a WiFi router somewhere. If we go into a cafe that has WiFi access and connect to the internet using their WiFi then we are connecting to the cafe's WiFi router and the cafe's ISP. That is how the system works.

WiFi adapters in computers are short range because of being low power. Also, the computer communicates with other computers using a code that telephone systems do not understand. So, the router is also a modem. It modulates (mo) and demodulates (dem) the signal traffic between the two computers into a form that can be sent through telephone systems.

I do not think that SuperX. 5.0 is any different from Ubuntu in this matter.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530