Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new user problem with graphics

Beans

new user problem with graphics

Hi, Yesterday, I installed ubuntu 20. on a 128 gb flash drive and this loads on a windows 7 HP desktop machine.

But, the graphics are not right, low resolution, moving the mouse to various things leads to things like the date menu not displaying properly, other stuff gets
    similarly messed up, which I believe to be a driver issue. The graphics card is:

Nvidia Ge Force 7500LE.

This is my first adventure with Ubuntu so likely many of my troubles are through lack of experience. I have searched and tried remedies from several sites with no success, likely because
    I am very unfamiliar with command lines and also because I do not have a systematic way to proceed and I am getting ideas from older versions
    that may no longer be relevant and this leaves so many questions that I am not focused towards a solution.

So a few questions:

Is the usb drive arrangement ok for fixing this issue or does it need to install on the hard drive ?

I can create a terminal window with alt, ctrl... sometimes clear, other times messed up, part sloping at 45 degrees, command line horizontal and I can type to it.
    Should I try and boot to a terminal window and fix the issue before booting to the GUI?

How can I find out what the correct driver is and how should I download and install it?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: new user problem with graphics

Hi Welcome to Ubuntu,

With Nvidia Graphic card you'll need to do some things to get it to work properly. 1. you need to attach the
    Code:
    nomodeset
    parameter to the end of the boot line. when you boot.
    Like this.
    Follow the instructions given here.

If and when you install the system you can make that permanent by editing the /etc/default/grub file (do a search for how to online.) or you can install the correct driver for the Nvidia card by going to
    Additional driver tab of the software and update app. (note: you would need to be connected via Ethernet cable for that to work) Good Luck.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by aes0 View Post
    Nvidia Ge Force 7500LE.
    That is very old, and is not supported by current Nvidia drivers. The last branch that supported that device was the 304 branch. That was available in 16.04, and was available for 18.04 through the external graphics drivers PPA, but is not available for 20.04. 16.04 is supported until April 2021, and 18.04 is supported until April 2023.

The alternative to using more current hardware or an older release is to use the open source nouveau driver, which comes built in but is significantly less well-developed than the proprietary Nvidia driver, in contrast to those for AMD (which used to have a proprietary driver, but now uses an open source driver) or Intel (which has always only used an open source driver), whose open source drivers perform very well.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Thanks for the replies. I won't be using the machine for playing games. If possible I would like to use it for simple video edits using open shot or similar, but I don't have enough experience to know if the machine can do this. It seems to be able to use it on windows 7, but I only installed it and checked it would run, doing no editing. If it can't do that I might find it useful for uploading to youtube video files made by iMovie as it has a ethernet connection and this would free up my MacBook rather than have to leave it by the modem for many hours. Another application I thought to use it for was to run a cnc desktop router via Universal Gcode Sender. As I say I don't know if I am asking too much of it and if so please let me know and I will find some other way.

So unless I am completely wasting my time (please say if so) I would like to try with the nouveau driver.

I have followed the links kindly provided by kc1di and after some experimentation, found that I could enter something called boot: I reached this by pressing escape to first get to the menu that allows me to specify the the usb drive as the boot source and then just afterwards pressing and holding the right (not the left) shift key.

However, once in boot: nothing works. If I press e it says:

Loading e... failed: No such file or directory

If I type ls I get the same with ls replacing e

I have found no way out of this place other than pulling out the power cord, cntrl x has no effect, just same error message.

I am likely missing something obvious here, but I all I can find is that grub is a subdirectory of boot and yet where I am just
    seems to be limbo, no executable commands, no command way out.

Thank you for your help

Beans
    Distro

So unless I am completely wasting my time (please say if so) I would like to try with the nouveau driver.
    Well, you're using the nouveau driver now.

It wouldn't be my choice. Trying to run brand-new Linux on that hardware, particularly as a new user, is going to be a significant uphill struggle. Sticking with a (still supported) release that gives you access to the proprietary driver, or changing the hardware to something that's supported by the version that you want to use, will give you a much smoother time.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Thank you!

I looked at the hardware cost of a new graphics card and it doesn't seem economic to discard what I have and go for a new one, especially when a new mini PC can now be had at relatively low cost that would replace the whole thing for a more compact and powerful system.

I will try the 18.04 version, no sense trying to do something that would be a uphill struggle and wouldn't be the first choice of an experienced user.

Thank you for your help!

Beans

I will try the 18.04 version
    Make sure it is 18.04.1
    Also, see: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...4/+bug/1737750

Beans

Thank you, I would have been pained by 18.04.

Regards,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i guess you have a temporary solution.

however in your case i would stay on windows 7 if you have good GPU support there. just make sure you secure it and lock it down as much as you can (i suggest Comodo+avast combo along with latest Firefox browser with noscript addon). i stayed on XP like that until last year. i would still be there, but software support was dwindling and it took PC 10 minutes to boot. Still old game work really well there, so i dual booted.

for video editing you need strong CPU, but you also need some descent GPU hardware acceleration. as you find out the latest mini pcs and machines offer both at relatively low price.
    i don't know what kind of CPU you currently have but getting nvidia GT 1030 or similarly powered AMD card would also take care of the issue.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

The computer was bequeathed to me by a neighbours family after he died. He hardly used it and I don't have much of a feel for how powerful it is and whether it is worth messing with, but thought to give it a try as my preferred option of an iMac or a second MacBook air is expensive although it would be nice to stay in the Apple eco-system. The machine I was given is a HP with
    an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz, with 3 GB of memory and a 32 bit operating system and has windows 7 Service Pack 1. Looking at eBay a nvidia GT 1030 looks like about £70 which is now a fair chunk of a mini PC with an intel mini including ubuntu 20. available for £149:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fanless-I....c100667.m2042

Any comments much appreciated.

Meanwhile I have been trying to install 18.04.1 via a pen drive but have run into trouble:

I have downloaded 18.04.1 and using Rufus 3.11.1678. I set things to create the image on the pen drive and it says:
    "The image uses Syslinux 6.03/20171017
    Two additional files must be downloaded."
    I type y and it creates the directory syslinux-6.03 with sub directory 21071017 in the rufus_files, but then says "Failed to down load file"

Not sure how to proceed to over come this.

Regards,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast