Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new user problem with graphics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: new user problem with graphics

Quote Originally Posted by aes0 View Post
    The computer was bequeathed to me by a neighbours family after he died. He hardly used it and I don't have much of a feel for how powerful it is and whether it is worth messing with, but thought to give it a try as my preferred option of an iMac or a second MacBook air is expensive although it would be nice to stay in the Apple eco-system. The machine I was given is a HP with
    an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz, with 3 GB of memory and a 32 bit operating system and has windows 7 Service Pack 1. Looking at eBay a nvidia GT 1030 looks like about £70 which is now a fair chunk of a mini PC with an intel mini including ubuntu 20. available for £149:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fanless-I....c100667.m2042

Any comments much appreciated.
    you are correct. it might even still have an AGP port and these are hard to get these days. if win7 works reasonably well on it i would stay on it and just secure it. besides you are not planning to do web research on it so it should be safe. Maybe save up for one of the mini PC especially if you need space. the miniPC you linked is not really something you want to edit movies on. they are ideal to watch movies on or other things.

for video editing you need strong CPU (Ryzen 5 or Core i5) and as much ram as you can (preferably at least 8 GB). for GPU you can use the chip on the CPU. these days they are strong enough for light video editing, but they need ram available.
    intel NUC are ideal as they are small and work well with linux, but they are pricey. There are some Asus with Ryzens, but i don't know how well they handle linux and they are still not cheap. you could also build your own. people over at kodi forums know more about these. as i remember there is a good website that sells all kinds of ITX and other small motherbaords in UK. i can't remember the name, but i remember they had lot of info available.
    another option is to get a used small form factor PC and upgrade that with RAM if necessary.

the Pentium D could act as home server with large drives inside to store media. you don't need GUI for that and you can hide it somewhere in the corner. GUI can be over website and for that you don't need strong GPU ( actually you don't need any GPU). the D were not really a good CPU. still in this case the nvidia seems to be the one causing troubles. Radeon (AMD) had descent support for old chips and they already helped developers with drivers before. but support for newer chips was not as good as nvidia before. now they decided to go full opensource so support is quite good for new chips as well.

Meanwhile I have been trying to install 18.04.1 via a pen drive but have run into trouble:

I have downloaded 18.04.1 and using Rufus 3.11.1678. I set things to create the image on the pen drive and it says:
    "The image uses Syslinux 6.03/20171017
    Two additional files must be downloaded."
    I type y and it creates the directory syslinux-6.03 with sub directory 21071017 in the rufus_files, but then says "Failed to down load file"

Not sure how to proceed to over come this.

Regards,
    i got that message when using Yumi and Unetbootin. so i used Balena Etcher and it worked well with 18.04 and this year with 20.04: https://www.balena.io/etcher/
    also make sure the downloaded file is a good one.

by the way first PC i put Ubuntu on was also an inherited PC i got 11 years ago. it was old with some kind of unregistered winxp. no one else really wanted it but i saw some potential. after i got frustrated with winXP i added ubuntu on it and started learning. i then upgraded it a bit, but it gave me issues due to motherboard. this year we set it aside and got a new one.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

HP with
    an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz, with 3 GB of memory and a 32 bit operating system and has windows 7 Service Pack 1. Regards,
    Can you determine if the PC can use a 64 bit OS?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rs=en-us&ad=us

Beans

Can you determine if the PC can use a 64 bit OS?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rs=en-us&ad=us

This says 32 bit operating system.
    Does this mean I can't run ubuntu 18.4.1?

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Unfortunately, a 32 bit PC needs a 32 bit Operating system.

I think some of the older flavours of the Ubuntu family have 32 bit iso downloads but I'm not sure which ones.

Probably Xubuntu and Lubuntu 18.04 versions.

Here is another alternative for an OS based on Ubuntu but not part of the family.

https://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/

Beans

This says 32 bit operating system.
    Does this mean I can't run ubuntu 18.4.1?
    No. It just determines whether your Windows version is 32-bit or 64-bit. It doesn't tell you whether the hardware is 64-bit capable.

an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz
    The CPU is 64-bit capable, but not all corresponding motherboards from that era were. So the question is: What motherboard (or exact model of HP) do you have?

Beans

Using the 32 bit version of Etcher from GitHub I was able to make my 128 Gb usb bootable for the 64 bit version of 18.04.1 and it then ran beautiful, graphics clear and no problems.

I haven't checked the motherboard details but as it runs the 64 bit Ubuntu that checks that question for me.

I have now downloaded the openshot video editor, but not yet tried to edit any video as I have to do some other jobs first, but hope to try later.

Overall I am super impressed with Ubuntu and the support here. I have had a hill climb through ignorance on my part to get to this point but I have learned some stuff and maybe this PC will do me for a while.

Thank you to everyone for the help, I could not have got here without you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

That's good news - Can you mark the thread as solved?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Well I came back all enthusiastic and then I found that Chrome crashed and this somehow removed oneshot and then when I used dropbox to bring over a small video, direct from my iPhone, only about 8 Megabytes. I found that Ubuntu could not play it saying: "No add on codecs are available for the h.264 (high Profile) decoder format... and then it crashed and the whole system stopped. Earler Thunderbird crashed and caused a system hang up.

It may be all due to the use of the pen drive operating system but it has so distressed me that I am coming to the conclusion that it is not going to do what I want and painful to the wallet as it will be that I will have to go Apple. What I was planning to do I could have completed in 30 minutes with out trying hard on an Apple system, having all my devices accessing iCloud is much more convenient than dropbox and although crashes do occasionally happen on my MacBook, the general experience is excellent.

Sorry things have turned so poorly for my experiment despite all the excellent help I got. Maybe there is something obvious that I am doing wrong that some one can quickly spot but as is I am thinking to abandon this experiment.

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What I was planning to do I could have completed in 30 minutes with out trying hard on an Apple system, having all my devices accessing iCloud is much more convenient than dropbox and although crashes do occasionally happen on my MacBook, the general experience is excellent.
    Good luck installing macOS on that machine.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Why are you running on a pen drive?
    Did you even install Nvidia 304 driver? That was the point of using 18.04, correct?

"No add on codecs are available for the h.264 (high Profile) decoder format...
    What program were you trying to use to play it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast