Thread: Is it safe to remove these files?

Beans

Post Is it safe to remove these files?

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:

atomicparsley fonts-freefont-ttf freepats libaom0 libaribb24-0 libavresample4 libavutil56 libbasicusageenvironment1 libcgi-fast-perl
    libcgi-pm-perl libclass-method-modifiers-perl libcodec2-0.8.1 libcodec2-0.9 libcommon-sense-perl libde265-0 libdirectfb-1.7-7
    libdvbpsi10 libebml4v5 libev-perl libfcgi-perl libfluidsynth2 libgroupsock8 libinstpatch-1.0-2 libio-socket-socks-perl
    libjs-prettify libkate1 liblept5 liblilv-0-0 liblivemedia62 libmatroska6v5 libmfx1 libmicrodns0 libminizip1 libmjpegutils-2.1-0
    libmojo-server-fastcgi-perl libmojolicious-perl libmpcdec6 libmpeg2encpp-2.1-0 libmplex2-2.1-0 libmysofa1 libofa0
    libopenmpt-modplug1 libplacebo4 libpocketsphinx3 libpostproc55 libprotobuf-lite10 libproxy-tools libqt5x11extras5 librabbitmq4
    libresid-builder0c2a librole-tiny-perl libsdl-image1.2 libserd-0-0 libsidplay2 libsord-0-0 libsoundtouch1 libsphinxbase3
    libsratom-0-0 libsrt1 libsrt1-gnutls libsrtp2-1 libswresample3 libswscale5 libtesseract4 libtinyxml2-6a libupnp6
    libusageenvironment3 libusrsctp1 libvidstab1.1 libvlc-bin libvlc5 libvlccore9 libvo-aacenc0 libwildmidi-config libwildmidi2
    libx265-179 libx265-192 libxcb-xv0 libxml-libxml-perl libxml-namespacesupport-perl libxml-sax-base-perl libxml-sax-expat-perl
    libxml-sax-perl libxml-simple-perl libzbar0 linux-headers-4.15.0-101 linux-headers-4.15.0-101-generic linux-headers-4.15.0-106
    linux-headers-4.15.0-106-generic linux-image-4.15.0-101-generic linux-image-4.15.0-106-generic linux-modules-4.15.0-101-generic
    linux-modules-4.15.0-106-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-101-generic linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-106-generic
    ungoogled-chromium-common ungoogled-chromium-sandbox vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-l10n vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-samba
    vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-output vlc-plugin-video-splitter vlc-plugin-visualization

Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Is it safe to remove these files?

Did this message follow and update and do you have any 3rd Party PPA's installed? PPA's and non Ubuntu repositories can cause autoremove problems.Old kernels show up as auto-removable on my system so I don't think that's unusual it's the other packages I would be cautious about.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

> Did this message follow and update and do you have any 3rd Party PPA's installed?

Yes, there are a number of third party PPAs. Think I should do a recent full back-up. Or a total new install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

And have you uninstalled some applications which were previously installed as .debs, such as the PPA version of get_iplayer which has now disappeared, and have now replaced them with either a snap version, or manually installing it as shown at the get-iplayer site https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/unix?

Snaps contain all the dependencies needed for an application in the snap package as I understand it, so anything that was installed as a dependency of the .deb version will no longer be needed, assuming nothing else requires it.

Beans

> And have you uninstalled some applications which were previously installed as .debs ..

Yes, various apps .. I'll do a full install .. thanks for the quick responce ...

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Is it safe? In my painful experience: no. When you get an autoremove list as big as you have, something has gone seriously wrong. You've apparently removed something else before which has broken a lot of dependencies.

Beans

> Is it safe? In my painful experience: no. When you get an autoremove list as big as you have, something has gone seriously wrong. You've apparently removed something else before which has broken a lot of dependencies.

Yes some app complained about the wrong python version. I tried manually correcting that and broke Synaptic. Then “Software Updater” wiped out a lot of my manually installed apps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This is one good reason for using the terminal or synaptic when carrying out these operations in my opinion; you get good warnings about everything that is going to happen before it happens so can stop, if you wish to, and think again, or ask questions as you have here.

I don't think I have ever used the software-updater, always using synaptic when I was new to Ubuntu, and now generally the terminal, though even when using synaptic I always set it to show actions inn the terminal window.
    I find synaptic most useful when searching for specific packages that are not seen in the software-centre, gnome-software, or whatever it's now called.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; July 12th, 2020 at 11:48 AM.

Beans

> This is one good reason for using the terminal or synaptic when carrying out these operations ..

Curiously enough, I just did ‘apt-get update’, ‘apt-get upgrade’,‘apt-get dist-upgrade’ and the original errors have disappeared. Except for this:

“E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is no longer signed.”

As someone above mentioned, get-iplayer is moving to a snap package.
    Last edited by yapidumoac; July 16th, 2020 at 09:45 PM.