Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu forgets include something important.

Beans

Ubuntu forgets include something important.

I am working hard to implement GNU/Linux on PCs with Windows's users. So, I have the problem that Ubuntu 20.04 don't include an easy way to make shortcuts or quick access to non executable files and folders.
    Windows works very well in this aspect, please take note. Users need versatility, simplicity and an intuitive interface.
    Last edited by antenac; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:23 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu forgets include something important.

In Ubuntu 20.04, you can bookmark any folder by right click on the folder's tile in the path at the top of Files. A drop down menu appears that has 'add to bookmarks'. See screenshot. Bookmarks appear in the left-side pane of Files. Those give you one-click 'quick access'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis N; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by antenac View Post
    Users need versatility, simplicity and an intuitive interface.
    My two cents: If you want versatility, simplicity and an intuitive interface don't use gnome shell. Install another DE or find another flavour. Gnome is moving in the opposite direction of those qualities, it gets more frustrating to use and weird with each new release. IMHO it is unusable for normal users without a bunch of hacks in the form of often poorly maintained addons. Gnome developers think that these addons are rude interference with their vision so they don't care about backward compatibility or a stable API, many addons bite the dust whenever a new version of gnome shell is released. The internet is littered with abandoned gnome shell addons.

If you are setting up gnome shell for new users (whether Windows user or not) don't forget to create an empty text file in ~/Templates, otherwise the right click option of "create new document" will not show up. Gnome developers think that it is a brilliant idea to make user go through this unintuitive step to achieve a simple thing that users of other DEs and OSes take for granted. They said it is part of some grand design vision.

I am using unity on standard Ubuntu20.04 (sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop, choose lightdm as default at pop up, logout and login, then remove gnome shell that's it, I also use nemo instead of nautilus as my file manager) I can display all recent files and folders with the dash with a keyboard stroke. I am setting up Kubuntu 20.04 for a friend who wants a more Windows like interface, Mint is another possibility for users who want a slick but Windows like layout (or Ubuntu with Cinnamon which is basically the same thing)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:54 AM.

Beans

Default Ubuntu 20.04 does have some important tools missing, e.g net-tools. It is frustrating that you cannot even run ifconfig to diagnose your wifi and you need wifi to install it! (not all of us have access to wired connection, I share internet and the modem is upstairs with separate entrance), or when you try to locate a file and find out you have to install mlocate.

I never had to install these myself in previous Ubuntu releases. What is going through their minds?
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Intuitive is subjective. What someone with years of Windows experience considers intuitive may be very counter-intuitive for someone else. Ubuntu isn't Windows and doesn't try to be, so to a long-term Windows user it will sometimes appear non-intuitive.

BTW, on my Xubuntu system, when I right-click on my desktop and go to "create document", it tells me "no templates installed", but does give me the option to create an empty file. I've never used that. I've no use for empty files. But if you put the file manager centre-stage in your workflow, it may be useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

use Kubuntu with KDE for "every setting in GUI" approach.
    Xubuntu (with XFCE) is also very easy to configure.
    Cinnamon is next in line for classic desktop usage.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Intuitive is subjective. What someone with years of Windows experience considers intuitive may be very counter-intuitive for someone else. Ubuntu isn't Windows and doesn't try to be, so to a long-term Windows user it will sometimes appear non-intuitive.
    I am talking about one specific functionality of Windows 10 menu. You can set up this menu as you want. Ironic thing, doesn't it? MS started to do that things because GNU/Linux give personalitation options. And now, user's have to adapt to Ubuntu. That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    But if you put the file manager centre-stage in your workflow, it may be useful.
    Again, what if I want the possibility?. I am working for introduce GNU/Linux in society, and I don't feel supported by them at all.
    Last edited by antenac; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    My two cents: If you want versatility, simplicity and an intuitive interface don't use gnome shell.
    Thanxs a lot.
    It is very sad to see how Ubuntu is turning to become in Apple philosofie.
    With the snap store I think I lost at least, ten hours, It is really slow and inefficient.
    I hope Gnome Desktop start to think in user's neededs more than a clean estetic.
    Last edited by antenac; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:53 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    In Ubuntu 20.04, you can bookmark any folder by right click on the folder's tile in the path at the top of Files. A drop down menu appears that has 'add to bookmarks'. See screenshot. Bookmarks appear in the left-side pane of Files. Those give you one-click 'quick access'.
    Thanxs. I know this methods, but it is not what I looking for,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    use Kubuntu with KDE for "every setting in GUI" approach.
    Xubuntu (with XFCE) is also very easy to configure.
    Cinnamon is next in line for classic desktop usage.

When Richard Stallman said that Ubuntu was a Spyware, the answer was, something like "the goal of this change and others to come is to unify searches for user convenience."
    Last edited by antenac; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast