Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I hire a knowledgable person to do an install?

Beans

How can I hire a knowledgable person to do an install?

I am changing webhost providers and I need to hire someone post haste to install Ubuntu on my new hosting company (if it is not on there already) and a mail server (likely Horde, but doing some evaluation now). I will ultimately be installing WordPress on it, a wiki, Canvas learning management system, a photo album and a few others. Is the a site where I can post an ad and likely get responses from qualified people?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How can I hire a knowledgable person to do an install?

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a more appropriate fit.

No, this site is for free end user support for individuals, you can contact Canonical at:

https://ubuntu.com/support/contact-us

We can help with recommendations.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sologig or Fiverr or Freelancer but you are on your own for deciding whether anyone is qualified.
    Perhaps you really mean a VPS install?
    i definitely wouldn't do an install as you seem to want for security and future maintenance reasons. Getting all those things working on a single OS won't be easy and the first upgrade will probably break some dependencies. if possible, go with a separate container for each to segment those dependencies. Doing it upfront should make ongoing maintenance 100x easier.

Plus there's a bunch of stuff needed not in the list. Stuff for security, alarming, monitoring, and versioned backups.

I’m not qualified since i use different systems for each of those things than the list for a number of reasons - some good and some bad. We all get where we are travelling different paths.

Good luck.

Beans

Thank you! That is helpful information.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i forgot to mention to be certain to get weekly patching in the proposals and patching as-needed for all WP-related aspects.

Securing WP is an ongoing battle as soon as we use any addons. i specifically avoid php webapps like WP because i don't have the needed expertise to maintain them or secure them. Right now over 2 Million WP sites are hacked and being used for illegal uses. Those combined with email servers just make spamming so much easier to go with the phishing that webapps often allow.

A friend maintains a corporate WP site with about 10 addons and he sometimes has to patch multiple times a week.

Because of the security and network architecture, i only patch weekly the last 12 yrs with just 3 times where some mitigation was needed mid-week for high-risk systems.

Setting up these systems isn't a 1-time thing unless you don't mind the systems being taken over by bad people for their illegal uses - spam, phishing, C&C servers for other systems doing bad things.

Beans

Is there a thread that will list all of the things that need to be done - once the OS is installed? or tell me which terms I should use to search on?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    i forgot to mention to be certain to get weekly patching in the proposals and patching as-needed for all WP-related aspects.

Securing WP is an ongoing battle as soon as we use any addons. i specifically avoid php webapps like WP because i don't have the needed expertise to maintain them or secure them. Right now over 2 Million WP sites are hacked and being used for illegal uses. Those combined with email servers just make spamming so much easier to go with the phishing that webapps often allow.

A friend maintains a corporate WP site with about 10 addons and he sometimes has to patch multiple times a week.

Because of the security and network architecture, i only patch weekly the last 12 yrs with just 3 times where some mitigation was needed mid-week for high-risk systems.

Setting up these systems isn't a 1-time thing unless you don't mind the systems being taken over by bad people for their illegal uses - spam, phishing, C&C servers for other systems doing bad things.
    Thank you! PHP is pretty pervasive in the scripts that I want. This is going to be a bigger job than I thought! Though in searching this question, I have found some really simple threads that show me how to set up the apps that I need on my hosted space. It seems that the knowledge I will have to gain is how to manage it to keep it safe!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

on a good host you will have option to install applications by clicking their icons in dashboard. then all you need to configure it. good host will also do backups and security (along with security warnings, server load balancing etc.). i use Hostko and so far they proved themselves (i had a breach in wordpress and they detected it, secured the server immediatelly and provided backups so i could restore it). since then, i also use additional security solutions in wordpress and also create my own automatic backups (just in case).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pengyou2 View Post
    Is there a thread that will list all of the things that need to be done - once the OS is installed? or tell me which terms I should use to search on?
    Not that I know. Just my guess is that to accomplish what you seek in a custom, secured, way is about 3 years of full-time Linux administration + webapp deployment knowledge in the specific stuff you care about. No, there isn't a list. It comes from experience and making mistakes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If it were myself I would go to 123ehost.com, submit a support ticket with your intentions and needs listed and see what they have. I have been using them since the mid ninety's and they have extensive support. Much more than I ever needed. Price point is unbeatable. They also sell hosting through resellers so a person could be using their services and not even know it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast