Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 encryption

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 encryption

I chose to erase disk when installing Ubuntu 20.04. Then I chose "Use LVM with the new Ubuntu installation" and "Encrypt the new Ubuntu installation for security".

What type of encryption is used, and how secure is it? Is it full disk encryption?
    Last edited by jkmaloney; July 10th, 2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Font normalised; now readable. Please use the default font when posting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 encryption

Your post is written in invisible font type. Are you testing a form of encryption on us?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hahahaha, I hope it is visible now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

dmcrypt+luks.

How secure it is would be highly dependent on you not doing non-secure things like using standby or hibernation or having passphrases along without 2FA devices involved.
    You have the responsibility to control the boot environment completely or have risks from the evil maid attack.
    You have the responsibility to mitigate any and all network attack vectors since the encrypted data is only safe when the system is completely powered off.

How much security do you need?
    How many hassles are you willing to put up with for that security?

There isn't a "100% secure" button. Mitigation for every, each, all attack vectors is something you'll need to address. The most difficult is ensuring a clean boot environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Last edited by Ranbunta_Bantubunt; July 11th, 2020 at 06:41 AM.