Thread: grub-install failed error when installing ubuntu on new MacBook Air

Beans

Question grub-install failed error when installing ubuntu on new MacBook Air

Hi, I am new to Linux and wanted to try it out.

I recently got a new MacBook Air and wanted to dual boot Ubuntu on it. I am currently trying to install Ubuntu version: 20.04. I followed a few tutorials online and everything seemed to be going well (partitioning, creating a boot drive, installing eRFInd, etc..) until I finally started installing Ubuntu. Every time I tried to installed it, I ran into the error: "grub-install /dev/nvme0n1p4". From what I understand /dev/nvme0n1p4 is the partition that I set aside for ubuntu to use. I have tried to find a fix for this, but the majority of what I have found is for Windows(I still tried following some of these) or simply doesn't work. The most promising fix was running "boot-repair-disk" through the terminal. However, this too kept running into errors and I had a hard time deciphering the text output. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to fix this? Should I be using a different version of Ubuntu, or not be using eRFInd? I heard that new MacBooks sometimes have problems installing Linux. Is my laptop just too new?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: grub-install failed error when installing ubuntu on new MacBook Air

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users for a more appropriate fit.