Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why did they remove desktop icons from ubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: why did they remove desktop icons from ubuntu 20.04

Thanks. I see the issues now.

Linux is NOT Windows. Doesn't PRETEND to be, Doesn't WANT to be; Don't try to MAKE it be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: why did they remove desktop icons from ubuntu 20.04

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I don't use the desktop. I use unity on 20.04 and use the dash in place of the desktop to show frequently used files and applications (it is much better than gnome's) Another computer has Kubuntu20.04 which also has a dash for the same purpose (though not as good as unity's), I just put a link to the file manager on the desktop. I hate littering my desktop with launchers and icons like Windows, I keep mine pristine and clean.

I find it kind of interesting that people who insist on having a classic menu are also the same people who put app launchers all over the desktop, which basically says that the menu is kind of useless and cumbersome.
    I put apps launchers on the desktop because I support release, and beta versions of Firefox and Thunderbird. Also use the Nightly version of Firefox, so I need a launcher for each.

I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but can dual boot into 20.04 and test those apps by launching them from a terminal.

That will get very old and tedious when/if I update 18.04 to 20.04. I'd like desktop launchers and will try the steps provided by mc4man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12