Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is your flavor?

Beans

Lightbulb what is your flavor?

I'm absolutely in love with Ubuntu Budgie,
    was hard to know the basic tilix commands(and yep, i still have a lot to learn), but I'll never go back to windows, the design is so much better...
    what is your favorite ubuntu flavor and why? i'm thinking to get some space on my hd to try others...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: what is your flavor?

Kubuntu, because it's there when you need it but gets out of the way when you don't.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 20.10 Gnome Wayland

Beans

Unity
    Olu-Unity from Sourceforge.

maglin2 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Kubuntu. Seems to behave as I want/expect and is light enough for this old laptop.

I really liked Unity (12.04 I thought was the best ever), and to be fair I do like the gnome, but it is sluggish on this laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Why limit yourself to just one??

I'm running LXQt / Lubuntu right now (groovy), but if I was to logout, I can currently choose from Lubuntu(LXQt), Xubuntu(XFCE), Ubuntu(GNOME), and up to a few weeks ago Ubuntu-MATE(MATE) but due to disk space issues I dropped it as it was used the least.

To be honest, adding multiple flavors adds complexity, and isn't without it's costs... but I like it, because I find so many of them hard to choose from.

Why my choice/choices.

Lubuntu with LXQt stays out of the way & is efficient (being a Lubuntu team member though, maybe it adds or detracts weight to it). My desktop is a 2009 dell desktop, so I need it light, which Lubuntu (LXQt) sure is. LXQt/Lubuntu is the lightest flavor in my opinion (nice given my old hardware!).

Xubuntu (XFCE) had been my favorite before LXQt; and in fact is what I've modelled my Lubuntu/LXQt setup on (far from a standard XFCE setting). It too stays out of the way, and I found it extremely efficient on older hardware (not as much since it switched to GTK3; but things move on). XFCE allowed me to completely setup my workspace as I wanted, it remained efficient and was a pleasure to use (LXQt/Lubuntu only got 90-95% of that functionality replicated).

Xubuntu also is GTK+ based, and is light with many of the original applications I grew to like in the GTK2 days. (Lubuntu maybe more efficient with Qt apps from my KDE days, but I use more GTK+ apps of of habit than Qt ones)

Ubuntu (GNOME) is what my install actually was (back in artful days) with other desktops added. It's not my cup of tea, but on occasion it's nice (different?) to use it. It's also heavier than XFCE/LXQt, but for some tasks it's UI is actually extremely efficient (even if it's not my personal choice).

I decide which I use each day (at login), depending on
    - what I want to accomplish that day (ie. which better suits my tasks)
    - which I want to use today, or just because I want a change...

Why limit ourselves to just one??

(off-topic, but one of the things I love about Debian is the ability to bloat my systems with many more desktops than I seem able to with Ubuntu... for people like me that just can't make up their mind, it's a great way to have fun, use our bandwidth (updating 6-9 desktops of updates for my sid) and scratch that itch).
    Last edited by guiverc; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

fvwm. No bloated DE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Budgie and currently testing Ubuntu DDE. I might get back to gnome eventually and want to try Solus Plasma.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

xubuntu , cause its fast and efficient on my 200yr old desktop.
    Last edited by 3nd; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:08 PM.
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans

Additionally, a tweaked Pop OS and Kubuntu, both on groovy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast