Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what is your flavor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: what is your flavor?

Thanks to CatKiller for suggesting I try Kubuntu, and Kansasnoob on other file browsers. Dolphin does seem better.

fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    plasma

I installed Kubuntu on sdb and found I liked it.
    Then installed to sda, my SSD so faster booting & loading, copied /home so very little reconfiguration.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Xubuntu 20.04. Have tried all the flavours of Ubuntu over the years (started with 4.10). Seems that both my 5 year old laptop and I like Xubuntu best. It really dislikes Ubuntu with Gnome (I like it though) makes my cpu fan go mad.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Thanks to CatKiller for suggesting I try Kubuntu, and Kansasnoob on other file browsers. Dolphin does seem better.

fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    plasma

I installed Kubuntu on sdb and found I liked it.
    Then installed to sda, my SSD so faster booting & loading, copied /home so very little reconfiguration.
    Glad to hear that. There are currently only two non-native apps that I install on Kubuntu; synaptic and gparted. Otherwise I find it totally usable. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not horribly difficult.

Edit: I do need to study a bit about wifi configuration in Kubuntu. Options are offered that are foreign to me. I'm sure it's simple but I need to read as time allows.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; July 24th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Glad to hear that. There are currently only two non-native apps that I install on Kubuntu; synaptic and gparted. Otherwise I find it totally usable. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not horribly difficult.

Edit: I do need to study a bit about wifi configuration in Kubuntu. Options are offered that are foreign to me. I'm sure it's simple but I need to read as time allows.

Wifi works out of the box here, but I remember there was a time that kubuntu used some network manager which was PITA (wicd? Some people recommended it in place of network manager in very old tutorials but I never had good experience with it) I installed kubuntu 20.04 on an old machine for my friend. Did a lot of testings and some tweaking when needed so he would have a good experience. Muon (the KDE equivalent of synaptic, installed by default) doesn't work, can't search for anything I removed it and installed synaptic.I don't use app store but for my friend Discover is definitely very nice and functional, IMO it is better than gnome-software.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 25th, 2020 at 09:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ubuntu 20.04 on my main desktop and laptop. Ubuntu 18.04 on gaming pc (mame) and Linux Mint 20 on lower spec laptop. Have tried most DE but prefer Gnome overall.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I like Lubuntu 20.04 for the same reason and it works great once I learned the LXQT how to..
    I am not a fan of LXQT. So, when 18.04 goes EOL, I'll sign up for the extended support. I'll ride that train for as long as I can, and then I'll make the switch. There are other distros with LXDE and it may remain in the repos, so I'll figure something out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A minimal install of Ubuntu 20.04 on ZFS as Host OS for my Virtualbox VMs, because of its handling of the workspaces.

- Ubuntu Mate 20.04 VM for Office tasks;
    - Encrypted Ubuntu 16.04 VM exclusively for banking and PayPal;
    - Ubuntu Studio 20.04 VM for music, videos and photos.
    - Ubuntu 20.04 VM for try-outs like DOSBOX & DOSSHELL running Wolfenstein and Winter.
    - Windows 10 Pro VM for the Dutch TV Viewer

All VMs run ext4 or ntfs on top of ZFS.
    Ext4 and ntfs inherit all ZFS advantages with respect to snapshots (zero seconds), incremental backups (only changed records instead of changed files), compression (size and #IO-Operations), memory cache sophistication (compression & algorithms), Raid setup and Copy On Write protection against file corruption.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; August 6th, 2020 at 05:51 AM.

Beans

I like both Ubuntu Budgie and Kubuntu, because Ubuntu Budgie really looks nice and awesome that I don't even change the wallpaper! I also like Kubuntu because it's the most stable KDE distribution I've ever used. Sometimes KDE neon gets unstable. By far I'm happy with Ubuntu Budgie because the desktop really stands out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I have to admit, I have looked at Ubuntu Budgie myself. They did a nice job on it! I am considering it for a newer laptop I have. My desktop is staying with Kubuntu though because it is so reliable.

Beans

I have budgie in a older laptop and was being a really cool experience ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast