Beans

Re: what is your flavor?

lubuntu/xubuntu is faster than budgie?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate are both very good for my usage. I find the XFCE DE as the most flexible and easiest to set up and would probably rate as my favourite to use. At this current time Ubuntu Mate is in use the most here and has been a good stable flavour/DE for me to work from recently.

I will probably give Unity another run soon as I eventually came to like it a lot just before it was dumped for Gnome3; funnily enough I absolutely detested it when it was first introduced to the point of migrating to Debian for a couple of years. Eventually my membership and helping out here guided me back to giving it another try and I even came to like it a lot. I've come across some good reports on it recently now it is being maintained as a community project so am keen to give it another run soon.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans

Ubuntu
    Lubuntu

LXLE
    https://lxle.net/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Currently Budgie with (<gasp>) Unity desktop. I don't get all the hate for Unity, I like it over Gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    Currently Budgie with (<gasp>) Unity desktop. I don't get all the hate for Unity, I like it over Gnome.
    Unity or Gnome both require decent hardware to run either of these resource hungry interfaces.

I've no complaints with either of them I guess it all depends to what a user is used to.

---------------------------------------

Off Topic.

What I don't understand is the user who dislikes Windows and moves from Windows over to Linux and then wants to make Linux look like Windows. Hmm.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Ubuntu but with unity and have gnome-shell removed. Unity is still maintained by the community and just need to install the package ubuntu-desktop-unity and make lightdm the default.

Beans

++ 1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Unity or Gnome both require decent hardware to run either of these resource hungry interfaces.

I've no complaints with either of them I guess it all depends to what a user is used to.

---------------------------------------

Off Topic.

What I don't understand is the user who dislikes Windows and moves from Windows over to Linux and then wants to make Linux look like Windows. Hmm.

I think except for hardware that should go to the museum running a modern desktop like unity is not a problem, has not been for a while I remember when unity came out around 2011 people were complaining not having enough ram but nowadays 4 G is the bare minimum even for very modestly priced refurbished laptops, it is plenty to run unity. Gnome shell tends to be sluggish (though has improved) but it seems to be either because of poor design or bugs that don't have much to do with resource usage, but something like graphic driver issues.

I agree that I don't get why people want their linux desktops to look like Windows, that's why I don't like Cinnamon or Kubuntu out of box (though with KDE you can make it look like anything with some tweaks) Xubuntu is good for very old machines but ugly out of he box, it looks like Windows from the 1990's, I suppose it wouldn't cost any additional resources to at least have better themes and icons.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; July 10th, 2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Beans

What I don't understand is the user who dislikes Windows and moves from Windows over to Linux and then wants to make Linux look like Windows
    I think it's mostly a visual translation. Not all users know, or even care, about tech. They like familiarity. I've been trying to get my wife to come to the dark side, and she has been hesitant. Then when the coronavirus hit, her daughter had to work from home and doesn't have Internet, so she was working from our house for a few months. This meant my wife had to use my System76 for her computing . . . after showing her the difference in where the shutdown/restart was and the translation for the windows "start menu," she seems to be having no trouble at all. Still won't let me reformat her comp or set up a dual boot, but it's a start.

Beans

I think it's mostly a visual translation. Not all users know, or even care, about tech. They like familiarity. I've been trying to get my wife to come to the dark side, and she has been hesitant. Then when the coronavirus hit, her daughter had to work from home and doesn't have Internet, so she was working from our house for a few months. This meant my wife had to use my System76 for her computing . . . after showing her the difference in where the shutdown/restart was and the translation for the windows "start menu," she seems to be having no trouble at all. Still won't let me reformat her comp or set up a dual boot, but it's a start.
    Yes just getting someone to try Linux can be a challenge sometimes.

The Wife started using Zoom since the Coronavirus and her Windows 10 laptop didn't Zoom well so she asked (I bout fell out of my chair) if Linux would Zoom better then Windows 10 and so I installed MX-19 Linux on an old Windows 7 laptop and she uses that now.

I'm still not over the shock.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast