Thread: Not linking to my old account showing only one post

Beans

Not linking to my old account showing only one post

Hi,

I noted that when I logged using another PC ( not my normal one but that is the reason for other posting today ) that I can login, I can send a help request but I am only flagged as having only 1 post whereas I know that I have a lot more. Also my signature is not shown. I have been a member since the days of Breezy Badger.

I will check if can search for my old messages.

Best Wishes
    Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Not linking to my old account showing only one post

I know it's been almost seven years, but do you remember this thread? https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2174269
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Hi,

Apologies about the slow reply & Thanks for the reply.
    Yes I do remember now that string now but did not the other night. So I can only assume I have been the using the incorrect login all of this time.. I have been using the forum in a read mode not contribution mode, although I am surprised at that fact, because I cannot believe that I have not replied to any posting in 7 years. (mondorescue, samba usage, etc unless I have another user name.

I followed your link to the sticky from Elfy and from to one of your earlier postings.

I did a search against my original user name and found a few. What interesting was that some were 2007, 2009 and some more recent ones i.e. after 2013. I believe that I identified URL. I have not attached it because it is a open forum. Do I have to privately message you or another address with that information.

Just an aside ,I wondered what "PM" was in your signature , am I to assume it is equivalent to "private message"

Best Wishes
    Jim

PS. I have found my old password if it is necessary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, PM = private message.

Since the forum software allows only one exclusive use of a particular string to be used as a username, I am surprised that you found "a few" when searching for your username. Is this what you meant? If you have found a likely candidate for your old account, please post the URL for the profile page, as the sticky requests. We cannot help you if we cannot identify the old account. Only logged in forum members can view profile pages.

Your old password is irrelevant. Only your Ubuntu One password has been needed to log in since the introduction of SSO (single sign-on) to the forum in July 2013.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

q

Beans

Hi,

I possibly did not make it clear but when "a few" . I had searched for my old username and I found several posting in one of the forums.

I also the password that mentioned, I believe was my Ubuntu One password, just by the way, it was structured and also I can remember my old forum password which is related to my father's car so I know it was not one.

If I post the url in an open forum ,does this not mean that other people will see it and be able to access it.

Best Wishes
    JIm
    PS where in the UK, but have lived in Canada for the last 32 years.

Beans

Hi
    I did not receive a reply to my question about posting in the open forum

This is a link to my original account
    https://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=70890
    Best Wishes
    Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Robinson View Post
    Hi
    I did not receive a reply to my question about posting in the open forum
    Only logged in forum members can view your profile page. I don't see that would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Robinson View Post
    This is a link to my original account
    https://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=70890
    You have two active Ubuntu One accounts, one linked to the Jim_Robinson forum account, the other linked to the jamesr forum account. Simply use the Ubuntu One account (the older one, I assume) linked to the jamesr forum account to log into the forum. If you have forgotten the password to that Ubuntu One account, this page may help you to recover it: https://login.launchpad.net/+faq

Quoting the relevant section from that page:

How do I recover or change my Ubuntu One password?

If you've forgotten your password, go to login.ubuntu.com and select the "Forgot your password?" link. This will take you through a process of recovering your password.

If you need to change your password, login to login.ubuntu.com, type your new password twice, and click the "Update" button.

Please take to account that in order to reset your password you must have access to the email address you provided. If you ever lose access to this account (email provider shuts down, hijacked accounts, etc) you won't be able to recover your password once you've lost it. That's why we strongly suggest that you provide more than one email address in your account.