Hi Folks,

I have not used the forum for while but now I have a problem that I cannot solve.

I have a dual boot laptop W7Pro & Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

But when I tried to login the other day, I cannot so, I tried to change the password using "physocats" method which I know works without any difficulty. In fact, I have helped several friends to enable them to login by using this method plus recovering my systems when I have forgotten the password, because I have several PCs, all with different passwords

The problem is that when I select root i.e. Drop to root shell prompt, on the Recovery Menu, it transfers to root as normal but here is the rub,

Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue
i.e. asking for root password again (endless loop)
I know that I may have forgotten my password, but as I can boot in the W7 partition using the same password, it is puzzling. Yes I know that is not good to do so but I use the same password for the W7 & the Xubuntu 18.04 LTS partitions. Also I not remember ever setting the Root password. Is there another way of removing the offending password. I have several bootable Live USB keys or should I say that they worked the last time I used them.

Is there another way of removing/replacing the password file and/or the shadow file when using an external boot.

Best Wishes
Jim