Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminal WHY!!!

Beans

Terminal WHY!!!

****mynamedevice.etc***********:/usr/src/intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0$
    The files are there^^^^^^^

sudo apt-get purge intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0
    [sudo] password for miki:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0'

Why can't I get rid of these files?

Then this:
    ":/usr/src/intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0$ sudo add-apt purge intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0[sudo] password for miki:
    sudo: add-apt: command not found"

So how do I become the owner of root directory ????
    Last edited by lars2435; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Terminal WHY!!!

Because you have the wrong name for it; most package file names are not appended with the version number.

I'm not on my Xubuntu box at the moment so can't search but you may find it easier to search and remove unwanted packages using synaptic, though you'll have to install it first as it's no longer a default Ubuntu package.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Then I wanted to install chromeOS and straight up copied the code the web page gave (https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/quick-start-guide)
    Went to terminal and terminal said NO! WHY! I can't do anything in this OS (Ubuntu)

(sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui subversion curl lvm2 thin-provisioning-tools python-pkg-resources python-virtualenv python-oauth2client[sudo] password for miki:
    Building dependency tree
    Note, selecting 'git' instead of 'git-core'
    Package python-virtualenv is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'python-virtualenv' has no installation candidate
    E: Unable to locate package python-oauth2client

Beans

The package manager can only remove stuff that was installed from a package.

You can use dpkg - the lower level of the package-manager - to find out what package a file or directory is part of.
    Code:
    dpkg -S /usr/src/intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0
    If that outputs something along the lines of "can't find it", then these files were not installed through the package manager and you have to uninstall them manually.

Since packages.ubuntu.com says that there's no official package containing that directory, you either installed it from a package from some unofficial source or outside of package management.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!

I think perhaps we should go back to the very beginning and try to find out exactly what you are trying to do and why you need to remove that intel-i915 package.

Are you also aware that chromium and Chrome OS are not applications but complete operating systems; you do not install them in Ubuntu but use Ubuntu to build them from source code (actually that is chromium OS only as Chrome OS is proprietary and I'm not sure you can get source code for that) and then install the OS separately from Ubuntu.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

I was in a haze when I installed them (hope "haze" is not too politically uncorrect for the masters of Ibuntiu) but I did something along with - install by preload.. Apparently I did something outside the normal lines of conduct for Ubuntu.. however it was in an attempt to make full utilization of my hardware (northbridge) and GPU/GPU as it was lacking

Beans

Yes I am well aware that chromium OS is an OS .. Basically what I'm trying to do is to have a dual boot system and I need to partition my mounted ssd so I can utilize half of it for an android OS in ZSF file format.. but I don'f want a linux based android OS as those **** (politically incorrect word) so I need to find a way to boot from UEFI to ? Android stuff files (OS) ((Android 10))

Beans

btw. I did the thing u said "Holger_Gehrke" and this came up
    (dpkg -S /usr/src/intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms: /usr/src/intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0)

Anyway thanks for the feedback

Beans

also did this:

Deleting module version: 0.1
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ------------------------------
    Done.
    Loading new oem-bt-dw1550-0.1 DKMS files...
    Building for 5.4.0-40-generic
    Building for architecture x86_64
    Building initial module for 5.4.0-40-generic
    ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/oem-bt-dw1550-dkms.0.crash'
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.4.0-40-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/oem-bt-dw1550/0.1/build/make.log for more information.
    dpkg: error processing package oem-bt-dw1550-dkms (--configure):
    installed oem-bt-dw1550-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms
    alsa-hda-lts-quantal-dkms
    oem-bt-dw1550-dkms
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    miki@miki-Latitude-E7240:~$ sudo su
    root@miki-Latitude-E7240:/home/miki# sudo apt-get purge intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0
    Building dependency tree
    root@miki-Latitude-E7240:/home/miki# sudo apt-get purge intel-i915-backport-3.8-dkms-3.8.6.0
    Building dependency tree
    root@miki-Latitude-E7240:/home/miki#

Beans

If you are root, you don't need sudo. Are you logging in to the desktop as root (not recommended)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast