Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theme on Bootable USB

Beans
    Hidden!

Theme on Bootable USB

I have downloaded a theme called Vimix and i have this in my grub.cfg
    theme=/boot/grub/themes/Vimix/theme.txt
    All the files of grub2 are on my external usb drive (ssd), i have it booting on startup.
    What i would like to know is how do i install a theme on a bootable usb where linux is not installed?
    To be clear, i am not trying to change my theme on my computer, i would like to change the grub2 bootloader theme on my usb drive. so standard commands to install doe not apply.

Please explain everything because i am a newbie.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Theme on Bootable USB

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello ayudha, you can bump your thread once every twelve hours to keep your thread in view of the volunteers here, if you do not bump it your thread falls out of view and probably will not get seen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It depends on how your USB was made. If made using UNetbootin and similar syslinux type tools, editing syslinux.cfg or txt.cfg similar to the way you edited grub.cfg on your main computer grub.cfg should work. if you are using a mkusb persistent install, edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg on partition 2, usbboot. If you are using a full install to USB do it exactly the same as your main drive. If those methods don't work let us know the tool you used to make the USB.

Beans
    Hidden!

The USB (which actually is a SDD drive, external) is already made, i made it by installing grub2 on it by hand, no software used. i have it working but i just can't seen to get the theme working.
    i have boot/grub/themes/theme.txt and all the other files in the themes folder.
    The grub.cfg is also in the grub folder and the only thing that is in there is one line that sets the theme.
    Code:
    theme=/boot/grub/themes/theme.txt i also used set theme)

I have never changed a theme in linux so i don't know how to do it, been at it for months now. i recon that it is different for a USB is it not? since linux is not installed there. (new to linux here)
    Last edited by ayudha; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I also tried to put the folder in different places and i have then changed the folder structure in grub.cfg but nothing seems to work.

Beans
    Hidden!

If i install the theme it will install it on my linux install partition and not on my usb drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is this a persistent USB ?
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!

i dunno what that is. but what i can tell you is that it is just a data drive, SSD (so not really a usb) it is connected externally. i store data on it and use live linux iso's to boot on system restart and install linux. there is no actual linux installed on it.
    So its just a SSD drive with grub2 insalled on it. i have linux installed on a other harddrive which is in my laptop. + windows. but i dont want to change the theme on this one.
    Last edited by ayudha; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

A live disk/usb drive won't allow you to save changes including themes. I tried the same grub theme on my installation some days ago and the install script ran, but the theme never changed. I have not looked into it further.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:39 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast