Thread: how to install ".install" file?

Beans

how to install ".install" file?

tl;dr = novice user has a file called "raisedr.install" and doesn't know how to install the program.

------------------------------

A year ago, both SATA HDDs in my Buffalo NAS were damaged during a brownout. I was offended by their approach (after some generous help identifying the problem, they shifted me to their paid data recovery team). I had 90% of the contents backed up and none of it was life-threatening, so I restored my 90% and set the project aside for a summer day.

Now, I've got the HDD mounted on a Mac laptop on which I've installed Ubuntu 20. I'm outside my comfort zone, and don't mind dropping a couple of bucks on a data recovery program with a straightforward GUI that I can master. (I know there are command-line utilities, but I'm non-native in the first place, and the data recover might involve a lot of hunting and pecking.)

PART ONE OF THE QUESTION can be, if you have a recommendation for such a product, please pass it along.

PART TWO is I wanted to try the product featured at https://www.raisedr.com/ ; I have downloaded a file called raisedr.install but don't know how to run it. Cobbled together commands like sudo apt install raisedr.install aren't getting me any action.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: how to install ".install" file?

Right click the .install and under permissions make sure it's executable. Try double clicking the the file and see if you get a run dialog.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; July 6th, 2020 at 11:32 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

In the Permissions box / Execute, the box "Allow executing file as program" is checked. I guess that's a long way of saying yes it is? I'm accustomed of course to executable files with extension .app or .exe. What does a file extension signify in Ubuntu?

When I double click, the file loads in a text editor.

Beans

Okay I get now that I can use the Open with menu to choose different programs to use to open a file. Stabbing blindly at it, I've been unable to get good results by opening with: Ubuntu Software / Disk Image Mounter / AptURL / Software Install / Run Software.

I also totally get that I could contact the company that authored this particular package. I was just wondering if there was a "this is how it should work" conventional wisdom for a file with extension .install.

Beans

never mind. file is for Debian Linux. Live and learn.

Beans

Ubuntu is based on Debian

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

File extensions don't really signify anything in Ubuntu. Many files have an extension, but they are for humans and some applications. My guess is that your .install file is a shell script that you can run to install something.

Ubuntu is not Debian, but it's related to Debian. It uses the same method for managing installed software packages.