Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usb drive becomes read only

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: usb drive becomes read only

Not too long ago, I had the same issue. I spent hours on it and concluded that it was actually dead. Some USB thumb drives/storage devices will put themselves in 'read-only' mode when they become damaged. There's no restoring them and the only solution is to toss it in the trash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    If you have a read-only problem, please analyze the problem according to this link at AskUbuntu

Let us hope that it is 'confusion', that the operating system or tools that you use are only confused. In that case wiping the first mibibyte will usually make it work again. In the worst case the drive hardware is read-only, 'gridlocked', and there is nothing we (mortal end users) can do to make it writable again.
    Hi, tried that. Didn't work. I can't cut and paste the outputs so please see the screenshot, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    mkusb works with 16.04 and 20.04 Ubuntu-Mate just fine. I know this first hand in the last few weeks. Don't know why it wouldn't work with any Debian-based distro. The head mkusb guy is sudodus (active in these forums; former forum moderator).
    Turns out it wasn't mkusb that I have installed, it is something called multibootusb, my bad.

Beans
    Hidden!

I assume that you have tested the 'easy alternatives': reboot, remove all other USB devices, try other USB ports, try other computers, before the attempt with mkusb.

I'm sorry. The output from your attempt with mkusb shows that your USB flash drive hardware is read-only, 'gridlocked', damaged beyond repair.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I assume that you have tested the 'easy alternatives': reboot, remove all other USB devices, try other USB ports, try other computers, before the attempt with mkusb.

I'm sorry. The output from your attempt with mkusb shows that your USB flash drive hardware is read-only, 'gridlocked', damaged beyond repair.
    Oh well, maybe rip for the flash drive then. It is a freebie that I got in some street fest a few years ago and it is only 2G's, they don't make them that small anymore. It is no big loss, but I got two of these in the event and I manage to make a xubuntu liveusb with an identical one, which is quite cool for a 2G usb drive. Thanks for the help anyway and will definitely make more use of mkusb in the future, looks like a really nice app.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kneutron View Post
    --There's your problem. Try mounting the USB drive on a Windows system and run ' chkdsk /f ' on it. Although depending on the age of the drive, you might just be better off getting a new one. Portable USB3 SSD drives are much more durable.
    you should try this before throwing it away. i had a sudden failure (read only mode) as well as failure and then repair (with chkdsk) and ultimately reformatting in windows solved the issue.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you should try this before throwing it away. i had a sudden failure (read only mode) as well as failure and then repair (with chkdsk) and ultimately reformatting in windows solved the issue.
    I don't have a Windows system. I have one in VB but the drive isn't detected ( I have installed guest additions and added myself to vboxuser group)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    I had this happen a couple of months ago (Xubuntu 18.04) on a 32G SD card. Fiddled with it for an hour before putting it back in the Canon camera and reformatting it there. Got lucky!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I don't have a Windows system. I have one in VB but the drive isn't detected ( I have installed guest additions and added myself to vboxuser group)
    that's one reason i am scared to remove all windows presence. there is always something that needs windows.

btw i think you can run this operation on recovery or repair disk downloaded from Microsoft website. at least they used to provide it. otherwise FreeDOS might also work (http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Chkdsk). but you do need CD or USB to boot from.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12