Thread: unpredictable battery behaviour

Beans

unpredictable battery behaviour

hi everyone,

new to Ubuntu XFCE (Studio) 20.04 - coming from Kubuntu 20.04 - on an Asus Zenbook UX301. I switched to XFCE on the assumption (perhaps wrong) that it'd be less resource-hungry than Kubuntu.

This Asus has a newish battery (please see screenshot in attachment). For some reason, while this battery lasted some 3, even 4 hours on Kubuntu, it now barely lasts 2 hours from fully charged (comparable activity, a mix of Firefox, LibreOffice and Darktable - Youtube and the like kept to a minimum - WIFI constantly on and Bluetooth turned off - display brightness up to 70% with brightness reduction plus sleep settings) . On the top of this, while in Kubuntu the battery applet on the taskbar appeared to accurately indicate both the discharging percentage and estimated time left, on Ubuntu XFCE it doesn't seem to: the system regularly shuts itself down when the applet indicates (about) one hour left on a 30% power left.

I set the power manager on Ubuntu exactly like it I did on Kubuntu: critical battery power label > 10% > on critical battery power > ask (except that on Ubuntu it never asks, the system just goes down). I tried TLP, to no avail (I didn't seem to need it on Kubuntu, although I don't really know if it would've made the difference).

can you please help? please also see "inxi.png" in attachment for additional info about the system on this Asus. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: unpredictable battery behaviour

"I switched to XFCE"

What does that statement mean? Did you just replace the KDE environment with Xfce or did you do a full reinstall with Xubuntu (recommended)?

The devil's in the detail, especially on laptops power management etc. are better handled with the install packages instead of glueing your own together.