Thread: Enable indicator via shell ?

Beans

Question Enable indicator via shell ?

Hi,

In our company we have 200 Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and for enabling indicator I have to open Mate-Tweak => Interfaces => check Enable indicators

We don't want to do it manyally, so is there any way to do it via shell script?? how??

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Enable indicator via shell ?

Do you realise that Ubuntu Mate 16.04 has reached end of life? Of 16.04, only regular Ubuntu still has 9 months of support left. The flavours only had 3 years of support. Yes, I know it's not easy to quickly migrate 200 computers to 20.04.

I'm quite sure there's a shell command to change these settings, but I don't use Mate, so it's a bit hard for me to find out. Further, things like this are likely to change from one release to the next.

Beans

yes, we know. We are going to upgrade all of them to Ubuntu Mate 20.04 lts but meanwhile (and also in 20.04) we need to enable this feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I also do not use Mate Desktop but I would think that it is built on top of Gnome 3. I do not know about the base of 16.04 with Mate.

Nevertheless, I think that you need to explore gsettings http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ettings.1.html

For example, Gnome Terminal is supplied without the menu bar at the top and you can enable/disable it with gsettings.

To enable the menu bar

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.Settings headerbar false
    To disable the menu bar

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.Settings headerbar true
    I would imagine that there is a similar command to enable/disable the indicators.

Beans

Another person not using Mate giving his opinion ...

Unless I misinterpret things, mate-tweak is a python script and you can just look at the code to see what it does. Seems to me it just copies some .desktop files into the autostart-folder if you activate indicators.

Holger