Thread: Can't exit Ubuntu

Beans

Can't exit Ubuntu

Hi,
    I am very new to Ubuntu, using the Ubuntu Studio flavour on my Mac Mini as an optional OS. I succeeded in installing it on a USB stick and it runs on my Mac all right. However, after installing additional software form the Ubuntu download site I now can not exit Ubuntu when clicking on the shut-off button. It starts anew. The only way now to exit is by force quitting pressing the rear button on my Mini.
    What is happening here? How can I reestablish the normal way of shutting down?
    Help appreciated!

Andy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't exit Ubuntu

Just for troubleshooting, have you tried using the terminal command - sudo shutdown -h now

Beans

Hi gsahli, thanks for helping!
    Just to make sure before I screw up something. The command is:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    Correct?
    Is this a one off solution or is it supposed to restore the shut-off button's function in Ubuntu for good?

Beans
    Distro

That's the correct command. This is just to see if the computer CAN be shut down from software.

Beans

Yes, it can. I've entered the command and it works in a strange way and only once per session. After entering the command and clicking on the shut-off button, Ubuntu starts again and then goes out. Next session does not work, have to enter command again.
    This is not a satisfactory solution for good, but works as an emergency.

Beans
    Distro

That's what it is for - a one-time shutdown. Modifying it to sudo shutdown -r now forces a reboot. When you use this command, there is no button to click.
    I wonder what you meant?
    Looks like you need to learn some linux terminal commands - so you can get the full utility out of linux.