Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any practical difference between 18.04 & 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Any practical difference between 18.04 & 20.04

Just be aware that some packages that may be important to you are available as snaps only, not as .deb packages, the major one you might come across being chromium.

This may not be a major problem to you but it does possibly mean you having to amend folders to which you have in the past downloaded files; the only destination open to you from the snap is Downloads, if I remember correctly.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well, they are japanese. Have you ever seen one of their TV shows?
    Ha no, I'm sort of vaugely aware they have some sort of strange, saucy, slightly sexy seedy thing going on in some shows but I've never seen one so I can't comment, as I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on our Japanese friends (at least not without seeing the evidence).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    This may not be a major problem to you but it does possibly mean you having to amend folders to which you have in the past downloaded files
    Right, so what your saying is if, for instance, I installed Chromium as a snap package, I wouldn't be able to select any location other than ~/Downloads as the target for anything I downloaded through the browser?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    Right, so what your saying is if, for instance, I installed Chromium as a snap package, I wouldn't be able to select any location other than ~/Downloads as the target for anything I downloaded through the browser?
    Yes.

I am using a chromium version from a PPA https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+...u/chromium-dev so install it in the usual way using the normal package manager.

You too can try this way if you want but many users are wary of using PPAs for security reasons.
    I investigate fully any PPAs that I use and feel happy that they are safe, though there is never a 100% guarantee of this so only use PPAs once you are aware of the potential risks and know how to remove them if necessary.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I use a few PPAs but generally I do a bit of an internet search and see if they are a popular one or not, and remove most once I have installed whatever it is I want to fetch from them. Either way I just use Firefox and only really download into ~/Downloads anyway so I'm okay on that front.

I'm assuming the new restriction is some sort of security measure?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you use software from a PPA you should keep the PPA. That way you will get upgrades whenever there is a new version. It works in the same way as with standard program packages from the Ubuntu repositories. If you remove the PPA your system will not be informed about the upgrades.

(If you do not rely on the PPA, you should not use any software from it.)

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm assuming the new restriction is some sort of security measure?
    Yes, I believe so, but why Downloads is any more secure than other folders in your home is a bit beyond me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Yes, I believe so, but why Downloads is any more secure than other folders in your home is a bit beyond me.
    probably they had to set a folder where you can store user files outside of application when they created snap and chose downloads. perhaps you can change it but not from browser but from CLI?

hmm i wonder how libre office then handles this? you can store everything only in documents?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

But why would you want Chromium? It is a poorly maintained, crippled version of Chrome and a perpetual alpha. It is not meant to be a finished product (which is Chrome) If you want a Chrome like browser just get Chrome (as a .deb) from its website. Opera and Vivaldi are other browers based on the same engine (chromium) that work well on Linux.

Many new users don't know the difference and think that Chroumium and Chrome are the same and end up with a bad experience then complain Chrome doesn't work on Linux, just to point that out in case you don't know yet.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123