Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lock screen problem

Beans

Lock screen problem

Hi, can anyone tell me how to turn on screen locking from the terminal so that my laptop screen does not turn off and display only the time and notifications?
    Currently, after my attempts to configure the screen lock option is not available and when the screen was available it immediately turned off ...

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Lock screen problem

I do not know the terminal commands but this may be helpful:-

Settings > Power > Power Saving > Blank Screen > Set to Never

Beans

Yea?
    I have set this option and every time the screen turns off ...

I don't know if I'm stupid or this control panel ...

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your screen turns off regularly after a certain period of time no matter which time setting you use?

As an experiment, set the Blank Screen setting to 1 minute and see if it works?

Beans

The screen responds correctly to the off settings with the indicated time.

The problem is that when the screen is locked, it turns off immediately despite the setting that it should remain active.

I never know if the computer is locked or sleeping.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

As your distribution is set to "Top Secret", it's not easy to help. Just a hint.

Beans

Very funny

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grzegrze View Post
    Very funny
    Not meant to be funny. But telling us which distribution you are running is apparently a major problem for you - and the problem is YOURS, because we are then not able to help you.

Solutions:
    1: you can enter your distribution in your User Profile. Or:
    2: you can select the distribution from a drop-down list when starting a thread. Or:
    3: you can mention your distribution when asking a question.

Until now, you've done none of these things. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mate... what are you running?

The people on this forum are highly knowledgeable and experienced, but none of them possess a crystal ball.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    Not meant to be funny. But telling us which distribution you are running is apparently a major problem for you - and the problem is YOURS, because we are then not able to help you.

Solutions:
    1: you can enter your distribution in your User Profile. Or:
    2: you can select the distribution from a drop-down list when starting a thread. Or:
    3: you can mention your distribution when asking a question.

Until now, you've done none of these things. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mate... what are you running?

The people on this forum are highly knowledgeable and experienced, but none of them possess a crystal ball.

I have completed my profile, is it easier now?

I use Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and it seems to me that all the systems you wrote about have the same kernel, I do not know what effect the graphic overlay has on the operating system because it professionally deals with other solutions.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, all the distributions mentioned have the same kernel and operate the same at the text-command level (aka shell).

But all of your questions (Nautilus, desktop icons, lock screen...) relate to the GUI, not the kernel. And each distribution has a different GUI: Gnome, LXQt, KDE, Xfce...

That's why I posted a screenshot of my desktop. Each GUI works differently and has differing functionalities in detail. You'll have to decide which you'd like to use. If you're deeply entrenched in Windows thinking, Ubuntu (with Gnome) is perhaps not the right solution for you.
    I personally use Lubuntu, which is relatively painless in installation and configuration. I've read that Ubuntu MATE can be set up to look exactly like a Win machine (never tried it myself) and so on.

Common to all is the Linux/UNIX kernel, which is an extremely powerful true multiuser, multitasking OS (which Windows is not).

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast