Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lock screen problem

Beans

Re: Lock screen problem

I understand these differences and I don't want Linux to look the same as Windows.

I want both of these systems to get the best from each other.

If you combine the security and speed of Linux with ergonomics and a user-friendly layer with what Windows offers you would create an ideal system.

Unfortunately, neither side provides everything ...

It's a shame if GNOME worked half as well as Windows would be great.

Beans

Note that Linux is the world's most popular OS, with billions of installs. It is extremely configurable and runs on anything from teenie tiny controllers, routers and cell phones to super computers, spacecraft, aircraft... If you have a problem with it, then the problem is very likely of your own doing. If you persevere, google search and read up on your issues, then you will eventually make peace with it.

UNIX is not unfriendly. It is just very choosy about who exactly its friends are.

Many of use here have been using UNIX/Linux for a very long time. I studied UNIX postgraduate at university in 1985 and has been using it ever since. However, on this forum we are not developers of the system - not full time anyway - I have contributed to a few minor things in the past.

So, you can ask questions, but you may not get an answer, since nobody here may have encountered the problem you have encountered. Usually there are several different ways to do something, so you may get seemingly conflicting answers. Experiment and learn. Make backups of your data, you may accidentally delete it in the process - it has happened to all of us - more than once.
    Last edited by HermanAB; July 5th, 2020 at 03:28 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Note that Linux is the world's most popular OS, with billions of installs. It is extremely configurable and runs on anything from teenie tiny controllers, routers and cell phones to super computers, spacecraft, aircraft... If you have a problem with it, then the problem is very likely of your own doing. If you persevere, google search and read up on your issues, then you will eventually make peace with it.

UNIX is not unfriendly. It is just very choosy about who exactly its friends are.

Many of use here have been using UNIX/Linux for a very long time. I studied UNIX postgraduate at university in 1985 and has been using it ever since. However, on this forum we are not developers of the system - not full time anyway - I have contributed to a few minor things in the past.

So, you can ask questions, but you may not get an answer, since nobody here may have encountered the problem you have encountered. Usually there are several different ways to do something, so you may get seemingly conflicting answers. Experiment and learn. Make backups of your data, you may accidentally delete it in the process - it has happened to all of us - more than once.
    I wrote earlier that I know where Linux is used and I have been using it for 10 years on servers.

I know this system from the server side and I think it is brilliant, it is also the basic system for my microcontrollers.

I claim GNOME is not friendly.
    GNOME should not be the base shell for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't understand why you keep hanging on to Ubuntu/Gnome, then. Try one of the other flavors. A live boot takes a few minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12