Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus problem...

Beans

Angry Nautilus problem...

Good morning,

Is it possible to set the system browser in such a way that it recognizes the context of the folder as in Windows? In Windows, images and documents are displayed differently, you can decide whether the folder with images should appear as thumbnails and the folder with documents as a list ...

Can it be changed?
    I saw Dolphin but there is no dark mode ...

Is it possible to set the search in Ubuntu so that it does not search the entire system but only the directory in which it is currently located?

Is it possible to make the copy window appear as an icon in the dock?

I've shut down my computer 10 times without knowing that data is being copied ... This is IRRITATING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nautilus problem...

All of your posts so far have a common denominator: You want a drop-in (and free) Windows replacement. A linux distro is exactly... NOT THAT!

The sooner you understand this the better your experience will be.

Is it possible to set the system browser in such a way that it recognizes the context of the folder as in Windows? In Windows, images and documents are displayed differently, you can decide whether the folder with images should appear as thumbnails and the folder with documents as a list ...
    It's like that by default in vanilla Ubuntu (Gnome DE with Nautilus/Files).
    You can toggle the view for any folder and those settings will be kept.

Is it possible to set the search in Ubuntu so that it does not search the entire system but only the directory in which it is currently located?
    It does that already.

Is it possible to make the copy window appear as an icon in the dock?

I've shut down my computer 10 times without knowing that data is being copied ... This is IRRITATING
    The some Nautilus/File icon, i.e., the file manager icon shows a progression bar. So, again, you asking about something that's already there.

With that progression bar + the pie circle in the Files top bar that also show a pie chart type progression and where you can click to see additional information, one must be really distracted to not see a copy is in progress.

Beans

But I do not want it for free, I can even pay for it but I have nothing for it because nothing works here and I have been trying for a long time to understand this system and work on it but it is IMPOSSIBLE!

The settings are not saved because every time the view changes globally, who came up with it?

"Is it possible to set the search in Ubuntu so that it does not search the entire system but only the directory in which it is currently located?"

However, I found that separate Search settings in Settings and File Browser are STUPID!

I turn on copying and close the file manager window, I don't want to look into it every now and again .... Why can't it be a separate window that I can see in the dock bar?

You are distracted yourself, I do not see this information when I close the Nautilus window, it is hopeless ... I am not the first to write it and I have seen many other people who write about me. It's a hopeless decision of the designer ....

He?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1019...s-ubuntu-17-10

Am I stupid or graphic design?
    16k views... As you can see, only I have a problem with this
    Last edited by howefield; July 4th, 2020 at 10:31 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@grzegrze

Using terms like "stupid", "impossible", "irritating", etc, are not likely to get you much sympathy with a community that finds Ubuntu (and Linux more broadly) to be neither.

Linux is more common in your world (whether you are aware or not) by an order or two of magnitude than Windows. It didn't get there by being stupid or impossible.

Linux != Windows. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will learn it.

Might I suggest a less emotive approach to asking for support?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I don't think Linux is stupid. I use it on many servers and is a great system but as a server. For some time I want to start using it as the main system and I'm going through a nightmare.

I know that Linux is in the fridge, car, washing machine, microcontroller and almost every device in the world and at the same time is hopeless for me to work as the main operating system.

I am aware of where and what Linux is used for, but it does not change the fact that my experience with Ubuntu as the main operating system is a nightmare !!

I just don't understand the absurd decisions of designers on many issues.
    I can write 30 things that Linux does wrong when it comes to the utility system ...

1. Why does the right mouse button on the system have no option to create a new file?
    2. Why the shortcuts in Chrome lnk do not work?
    3. Why Does AnyDesk shortcuts to client desktops not work?
    4. Why do Settings and Change wallpaper lead to the same settings?
    5. Why can't I copy the entire address in the nautilus window to the place where I am currently?
    6. Why are there not many things in Software Ubuntu and most of the tools I need to install from the terminal?
    7. Why do I have to remember huge amounts of software because they are not in Ubuntu Software?
    8. Why can't I copy files and watch the progress bar in the dock?
    9. Why does the dock hide desktop icons while it is turned on while it is active?
    10. Why can't desktop icons be moved after selecting several of them?
    11. Why do the icons on the desktop change their position when deleting one of them?
    12. Why will my screen turn off when the option of not switching off in locked screen mode is selected?
    13. Why can't I press Ctrl + D without hiding Conky despite the Always On Top layer set?

Should I exchange further?

So many questions, so few answers ...

I don't expect Linux to be like Windows but it doesn't change the fact that Ubuntu support is definitely worse and is a row or two lower than in Windows. Many service decisions make no sense. It is not user friendly ...

It doesn't matter if it's Windows, Linux or Hiper New System from Space.

The system is to be usable and Ubuntu is not at all.
    Last edited by howefield; July 4th, 2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't know about 2 and 3, but your other observations do not happen for me in Kubuntu.

They may be desktop environment conditions -- and those things would be up to the DE developers.

The system is to be usable and Ubuntu is not at all.
    Literally millions of people would disagree with you. However, if such is the case for you, then it is the case. You are free to try another DE , or even another distro.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

If working on Linux is to migrate between one distribution and another, then does it make sense?

What alternatives do I have when it comes to the graphics environment?
    All the environments I've tested are ugly or don't work properly, they are inconsistent and nothing works well together there ...
    I've already tested Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse, Zorin OS, Elemetary OS.

Elementary OS is nasty pretending to be something it is not

I don't know who designs the Ubuntu desktop environment solutions but can't do it. Nothing is useful there, it has many flaws and errors ...

I urge you to think about why I am writing about these problems. Don't you think that the things I write about are not great requirements? These are quite basic things even in Windows and MAC OS ...

They are there and you do not need to change anything, these are the most basic things in the context of the operating system ...

Don't you think that every new Ubuntu user has the right to feel angry when he sees such underdevelopment and difficulties?
    Last edited by howefield; July 4th, 2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Every new Ubuntu user is free to feel as they choose about it, good or bad.

I don't like it, so I use Kubuntu. I've made no attempt to hide my dislike for vanilla Ubuntu. Unfortunately, I have no control over what the GNOME developers do or don't do. Nobody here does. We are all end-users just like you.

If you would like help, perhaps it would be best to politely ask specific questions in separate threads and stick to one subject at a time.

Give your Release, Flavor, and, if it may be germane, your hardware specs. Don't assume people will know.

Frame your requests as "I am having trouble with x, which I expect to behave like y. If it's possible, can someone help me make it so?" rather than "Why can't the developers make x work the way I expect it to?"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Every new Ubuntu user is free to feel as they choose about it, good or bad.

I don't like it, so I use Kubuntu. I've made no attempt to hide my dislike for vanilla Ubuntu. Unfortunately, I have no control over what the GNOME developers do or don't do. Nobody here does. We are all end-users just like you.

If you would like help, perhaps it would be best to politely ask specific questions in separate threads and stick to one subject at a time.

Give your Release, Flavor, and, if it may be germane, your hardware specs. Don't assume people will know.

Frame your requests as "I am having trouble with x, which I expect to behave like y. If it's possible, can someone help me make it so?" rather than "Why can't the developers make x work the way I expect it to?"

I understand your approach to me and the feeling that I have "claims" and "requirements".

However, you are wrong, I just literally pay attention to things that are done wrong.

Where should I write and who do I contact to get someone responsible from GNOME to read this?

I don't know how it happened that they sacrificed time and money to develop such a faulty solution.

I thought I had a problem with thinking but as I showed many people solutions that I don't like agreed with me. I described almost 15 things that are badly designed and I can add another 50 because you can solve it better ...

It's just bad design, it doesn't help, it doesn't solve problems. The operating system is a tool for the user.

I require the system, the system does not require me. This is how it should work.

I don't blame anyone, I just don't understand these bad decisions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I cannot comment too much on Nautilus features since I don't use it much.

For my personal workflow I use Krusader .. but note that you will read warnings that this comes with a lot of KDE baggage. I don't mind this extra baggage since:

Krusader is a two pane file manager.

Content of folders, files can be easily viewed.

Different themes can be used.

Useractions in top bar allow various custom actions to be specified. For example I navigate to a folder and can launch that in my Atom editor.

You ask "Is it possible to set the search in Ubuntu so that it does not search the entire system but only the directory in which it is currently located?"

Again i use Krusader as my "mission control centre" and I write a "useraction" which runs ripgrep command on identified folder.

And you write "I've shut down my computer 10 times without knowing that data is being copied ... ".
    Here again Krusader shows all the file copy jobs in progress.

See Settings > Job Queue mode.

Finally you write "Is it possible to make the copy window appear as an icon in the dock?".

just install docky and Krusader appears in the docky icons at bottom of page.

I make these points since if I find that if a feature is missing for my workflow I don't expect developers to fill the gap. Instead I just use a toolchain.

Krusader > Atom
    Krusader > ripgrep (https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep)
    Krusader > Geany
    and so on .... linking Krusader to multiple tools.

If you are intent on using Nautilus then I point to these custom extensions.

https://www.giuspen.com/nautilus-pyextensions/

You can write your own extensions.

In short, build your own work environment. The tools are there. And I write with Windows 10 sitting dormant in my internal drive with Ubuntu in an external SSD.

================================

[P.S.] Other managers reviewed here.

https://www.slant.co/options/7580/al...r-alternatives
    Last edited by dragonfly41; July 4th, 2020 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added review of alternative tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast