Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dock problem

Beans

Re: Dock problem

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    If you find something you do not like feel free to learn programing and create your own OS or to make adjustments as you see fit but please stop putting down Ubuntu and linux in general, from the forum rules:

The complete forum rules:

https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules

Please stick to trying to solve your issue without derogatory comments or overtones.

I don't use offensive comments or subtexts.

I am only trying to outline the absurdity that I experience in terms of Ubuntu ergonomics.

I am currently installing Kubuntu and after testing in a virtual machine it looks promising.

I just can't understand how any Project Manager saw Unity and said, "It's great, we'll invest a lot of money and time in this idea."

After all, it is such a pathetic coating that a 15-year-old child is able to draw it better ...

Don't you feel that this is a mockery and a bad joke on the part of the designer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Unity?

Long gone. Dead.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your trouble is that you are trying to apply Windows paradigms to Linux. They are very different, and do need some adjustment to you mental model of "computers". This is normal, and can be frustrating.

It is equally true in the other direction, I assure you. After a couple of decades on Linux, I have the misfortune of having to do some work on Windows recently. Good grief, what a nightmare! Why do they have to make even simple things so flaming hard? Basic settings buried in obscure menus in the most inappropriate places. The "Control Panel" that you admire so much is a shambles. Many settings are not there, or only show half of all possible options, and you have to follow completely different and non-intuitive paths in other bits of UI to find the missing options. I gather that the control panel is slowly being deprecated, which makes things hard for me because that's the only place I know to look for settings. And as for package management on Windows, well there simply isn't any as far as I can tell.

However, many people seem reasonably happy with the mess. I think this is entirely down to familiarity. You are very familiar with Windows, and are having difficulty understanding all the differences in Linux. Likewise, I am very familiar with Linux and have difficulty understanding all the differences in Windows. In both directions, people tend to discover things that don't work the way they are used to long before they learn the way they should be done on the other system. This leads to frustration. But me going onto Windows forums and ranting about what a mess and how retarded Windows is won't do any good, it will just show how little I know about Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Your trouble is that you are trying to apply Windows paradigms to Linux. They are very different, and do need some adjustment to you mental model of "computers". This is normal, and can be frustrating.

It is equally true in the other direction, I assure you. After a couple of decades on Linux, I have the misfortune of having to do some work on Windows recently. Good grief, what a nightmare! Why do they have to make even simple things so flaming hard? Basic settings buried in obscure menus in the most inappropriate places. The "Control Panel" that you admire so much is a shambles. Many settings are not there, or only show half of all possible options, and you have to follow completely different and non-intuitive paths in other bits of UI to find the missing options. I gather that the control panel is slowly being deprecated, which makes things hard for me because that's the only place I know to look for settings. And as for package management on Windows, well there simply isn't any as far as I can tell.

However, many people seem reasonably happy with the mess. I think this is entirely down to familiarity. You are very familiar with Windows, and are having difficulty understanding all the differences in Linux. Likewise, I am very familiar with Linux and have difficulty understanding all the differences in Windows. In both directions, people tend to discover things that don't work the way they are used to long before they learn the way they should be done on the other system. This leads to frustration. But me going onto Windows forums and ranting about what a mess and how retarded Windows is won't do any good, it will just show how little I know about Windows.

Hi,

He is not ignorant, I know perfectly well that these are different systems.
    I am not saying that Linux is worse and is supposed to work like Windows.

Ubuntu with a GNOME shell is a failure.

As I wrote before:

1. Why does the right mouse button on the system have no option to create a new file?
    2. Why the shortcuts in Chrome lnk do not work?
    3. Why Does AnyDesk shortcuts to client desktops not work?
    4. Why do Settings and Change wallpaper lead to the same settings?
    5. Why can't I copy the entire address in the nautilus window to the place where I am currently?
    6. Why are there not many things in Software Ubuntu and most of the tools I need to install from the terminal?
    7. Why do I have to remember huge amounts of software because they are not in Ubuntu Software?
    8. Why can't I copy files and watch the progress bar in the dock?
    9. Why does the dock hide desktop icons while it is turned on while it is active?
    10. Why can't desktop icons be moved after selecting several of them?
    11. Why do the icons on the desktop change their position when deleting one of them?
    12. Why will my screen turn off when the option of not switching off in locked screen mode is selected?
    13. Why can't I press Ctrl + D without hiding Conky despite the Always On Top layer set?

Zero system customization options, unclear management, pathology.
    I can find even more bad GNOME design decisions.

It is impossible to work with KNOME, yesterday after the whole debate on the forum I removed GNOME and installed a new Kubuntu system after testing in a virtual machine, it's great.

I can customize everything here, the control panel has many options and many black modes in the applications work.

I don't know why this is happening but it WORKS!
    GNOME should not be offered as a base user interface because it causes problems.

I know I have to get used to working on Linux but many things from Windows are good and they can be moved to Linux.

I mentioned a few of them above, this is not expecting Linux to work like Windows. It is about working as well as possible.

Beans

There are other distributions that offer KDE by default. In any case, nobody is stopping you from using another DE.

In the free software world, there is no need to moan about things, since you can fix it yourself.

It sounds like if someone would offer you free ice cream, you will complain if the little stick is bent.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    There are other distributions that offer KDE by default. In any case, nobody is stopping you from using another DE.

In the free software world, there is no need to moan about things, since you can fix it yourself.

It sounds like if someone would offer you free ice cream, you will complain if the little stick is bent.

Well, you are wrong, I wrote earlier about the distributions I tested

I did not know that Zorin OS can be downloaded for free, I paid for it and when I saw the system after running I deleted it immediately.

I don't expect it to be free, I just want it to be logical and functional.

If Ubuntu wants to be advertised as a replacement for Windows, let it be meaningfully managed.

KDE Plasma has solved my problems - this is what a user interface with many configuration options should look like.

Beans
    Hidden!

He is not ignorant, I know perfectly well that these are different systems.
    I am not saying that Linux is worse and is supposed to work like Windows.
    You make it sound as if you do think it is supposed to work like Windows.

This is precisely what we have been trying to steer you away from but you seem determined not to think more widely; it is NOT SUPPOSED to work like Windows because it is not Windows so you need to start thinking differently if you continue to use Ubuntu, or change to a different flavour from the Ubuntu family as has been suggested already.

As I have just said to another poster, have a good read through the sticky thread in the Desktop Environments section of the forum; you may find some great help there and be able to calm down a bit which will help you greatly!
    Last edited by ajgreeny; July 5th, 2020 at 11:00 AM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You make it sound as if you do think it is supposed to work like Windows.

This is precisely what we have been trying to steer you away from but you seem determined not to think more widely; it is NOT SUPPOSED to work like Windows because it is not Windows so you need to start thinking differently if you continue to use Ubuntu, or change to a different flavour from the Ubuntu family as has been suggested already.

As I have just said to another poster, have a good read through the sticky thread in the Desktop Environments section of the forum; you may find some great help there and be able to calm down a bit which will help you greatly!
    I don't understand why you think I'm not calm. I am very calm.

I repeat again that I do not want Linux to work like Windows but to be functionally similar.

For example, the right mouse button in KDE Plasma has the option of selecting a program from the drop-down list where I want to run it.

KDE Plasma has the right mouse button for creating files. GNOME doesn't have this option.

Understand?

It's about the fact that GNOME is simple which makes it useless.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm glad to see that you like KDE. Maybe I should try it again one day, although I am acclimatised to XFCE right now.

I used to use KDE2 on Mandrake Linux, but then moved to Gnome on Ubuntu. As it happens, I switched from Gnome2/Ubuntu to XFCE/Xubuntu just before Ubuntu launched Unity. I did try Unity for a week when it came out, and thought it was the most user-hostile UI I have ever used.

As for your 13 questions, I don't understand most of them (I don't use gnome), but do know the answers to a few, if you are still interested:
    1: You have to create a template file in a templates folder somewhere. I don't remember the details, and have seen plentu others complaining of the same thing. I woudl think that create empty file chold be there as a default, if nothing else.
    4: Probably there's just one configuration utility for this, but several places you could reasonably offer the option. I think you may find the same kind of thing in KDE, which is veru option rich.
    6: The software centre is very cut down and only lists the major apps. I tend to use synaptic, but I seem to remember there was a different app vaguely like synaptic bundled with KDE. I forget the name.
    7: Again, the software centre is quite simplified - it only lists major applications. I think it's really just for new users.

Beans

"GNOME is simple which makes it useless" - Please consider that there are several million users who disagree with you.

As we keep saying - don't moan about Free software. You are Free to contribute in a positive way. As a beginner, you are Free to look around for alternatives to whatever is paining you. There are more than 50,000 packages in the repositories. You are Free to try all of them. Once you are more experenced, then you are Free to file bug reports and fix bugs yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast