Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop problem

Beans

Angry Desktop problem

Good morning,

Is it just me who has the problem that when removing anything from the desktop icons move to random locations on the screen?

Beans

Re: Desktop problem

The Gnome Desktop designers didn't have icons on the Desktop as part of their grand vision. It's only through extensions that you can have them at all. I've only used the system icons - Trash and Home on my desktop. These stay put. In 20.04, I don't use any desktop icons. If you like to work with a lot of desktop icons, there are other Desktops that may work better with them. Maybe Xubuntu, for example, which uses XFCE desktop.

Beans

Does anyone control the user experience? This is a nightmare ...

Beans

I have an installation of Ubuntu MATE 20.04. I haven't seen these icons move around unless I drag them to a new spot. You might prefer it.
    See screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any DE works according to its developers ideas / project vision.
    You, the user who want a different experience, are free to use zany other that better fits the experience you want, as mentioned above.

This is NOT Windows. Among different DE and different implementations over the same base software and/or an entirely different set of a different distro, you have literally thousands of options. And, of course, you can create your own from scratch or by forking one of the existent open-source projects.

Beans

Why do you have a program at the top of the bar?

I was looking for different options and I wonder why Ubuntu forcibly does something that doesn't work well. In my opinion, Windows has perfected when it comes to user support.

I totally don't understand why I can't move many elements in Ubuntu at the same time but I have to change their place on the desktop one by one ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps you need to go back to Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Or to Lubuntu.
    This is how my desktop looks:

No problems with jumping icons, and the lock issue you posted in another thread is also no issue.
    Last edited by ml9104; July 4th, 2020 at 09:41 PM.

Beans

It's not about how it looks, but how it works. Are there things I wrote about in Lubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grzegrze View Post
    It's not about how it looks, but how it works. Are there things I wrote about in Lubuntu?
    OK, I've now removed one desktop item by sending it to the recycle bin. Do you see the other icons move?

Second, you asked about why having a program at the top. Here the shortcuts are at the bottom, installed by simple drag 'n drop. Satisfied?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast