Re: Upgrade to 20.04 damages pdf export from LibreOffice

Code:
    ~$ lsb_release -a; uname -a; apt-cache policy libreoffice
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
    Release:        20.04
    Codename:       focal
    Linux Dell13-LUB 5.4.0-40-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 23 00:01:04 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    libreoffice:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1:6.4.4-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
      Version table:
         1:6.4.4-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 500
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 Packages
         1:6.4.2-0ubuntu3 500
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
    ~$

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You know, thinking back I did have a problem with LO after upgrading from 19.10 to 20.04. Don't remember exactly what it was, but it was glaring.
    I did a reinstall of LO and then everything was fine.
    I know, brute force, but it worked

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The current version still handles icons in Calc charts incorrectly. You can no longer change their shapes.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...s-not-working/
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The current version still handles icons in Calc charts incorrectly. You can no longer change their shapes.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...s-not-working/
    ???

Beans

With respect, recent posts are diverging from the specific problem which I've raised in this thread.

There is a known problem with LibreOffice and Lubuntu 20.04, namely that text exported to a pdf file is not rendered; this is listed as a bug by LibreOffice, and is reported as a bug by Lubuntu. It is caused by the use of Qt5 in Lubuntu 20.04. It is not specific to LibreOffice 6.4; I have downloaded a 6.3 source on a dual-boot machine (18.04 ad 20.04) and the version compiled for 20.04 shows the problem whereas the version compiled for 18.04 does not.

There is a workaround, published by Lubuntu developers, involving the use of Cairo. The workaround is not perfect. I have been trying to set up a machine so that a non-technical user (who would be unhappy using a terminal window) can export text to pdf from either new LO files or existing LO files, without crashing LO. I've had some success, but I have only a limited knowledge of the way in which applications are launched from the LXQt desktop, and so I'm looking for help to improve my imperfect solution.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

If you use a PDF Printer rather than the "Export to PDF" button, is it OK? This should be DE agnostic....

Beans

Printing to pdf gives the same problem as exporting to pdf.

Beans

I'm going to mark this as SOLVED because, after some further investigation, I have found another way round the problem.

Rather than modifying the launcher files to use Cairo, the problem can be avoided by replacing qt5 by gtk3 globally for the session. In Preferences > LXQt settings > Session settings, under Environment (advanced), I changed the value of SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN from qt5 to gtk3. Then, after rebooting, LibreOffice was able to export to pdf successfully. (I also reverted the launcher files to their original versions, of course.)

Beans
    Hidden!

Another alternative to get a PDF is to use the print dialogue, but instead of printing to your local printer, use the Print to file option which I assume appears in all printer options irrespective of the make of printer and there choose PDF as file output..
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Thanks for the suggested alternative, but in fact printing to a file gave exactly the same problem as exporting directly to pdf. (In fact printing to paper didn't seem to work, either! But I didn't spend much time on this.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12