Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: My preference for Covid protection

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh3 View Post
    I have gone to a face shield.

The benefits are

1. Does not get hot

2. Does not fog up glasses

3. Others can see my face and my facial expressions

4. It is less likely for bank employees to think I have come to rob them.
    Just some humor.
    Hi, is that the disposable ones? where did you buy yours?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Face shield disadvantage: Curved hard surface does not trap the wearer's virus-bearing droplets or aerosolized virus particles and viral debris, but simply redirects them to the rear and into someone else's face.
    Last edited by QIII; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:11 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh3 View Post
    I disagree.

It protects me and others because it is a barrier to airborne particles.
    Sure, it protects you if you are wearing an N95 or P95 mask and the virus is carried in a droplet of liquid 300nm or more in size. Neither an N95 or P95 mask is enough to filter out particles as small as the viruses themselves. The N95 standard tests for a particle size of 300nm -- much larger than the 35 - 125nm size of a corona virus. A cloth mask is a barrier to droplets that carry the corona virus particles ... like the ones a human spreads every time they sneeze, cough, speak, sing, laugh ...

We aren't talking about viral particles here. We're talking about the droplets of liquid that bear them. If you stop your droplets from hitting my face, you reduce my risk of contamination. If I wear a mask and you get spittle all over my face, I'm going to die of COVID-19.

Your mask doesn't protect you. It protects everyone else.

Edit: Just to be sure ... I take it everyone is speaking in an easy-going coffee-shop-and-doughnuts sort of way here. Right?
    Last edited by QIII; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:36 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

the issue is (at least here) that at the beginning there weren't enough masks. so governments instead of telling people to wear them said wash your hands and keep distance and it will be fine. only after they purchased enough masks for health workers they started promoting it for ordinary people as well.

sad thing is they are made of plastic that can't be recycled and that dissolve to microplastic. and they are already causing issues in the oceans where they added to the plastic pile already there.

otherwise yes, it's all about "the spit". they protect others not really yourself. in Asia it was common to wear them. they often do due to pollution + they had SARS. it's something strange in our world.

but in times of plague, the plague masks were popular.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12