Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Trail Camera Wont Mount, Neither will Memcard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Chinese Trail Camera Wont Mount, Neither will Memcard.

Depending on age the camera may not support cards bigger than 2GB, the original SD standard. That won't be the case if a bigger card (SDHC or SDXC) formats and work in the camera itself. If this is what's happening - not sure, your whole thread is confusing - then it's a case of a proprietary format that only works in the camera, as already commented.

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by adambond View Post
    No. I still have that same problem. That first memory card that I cant get to mount in anything.

I was just posting my results. Not sure what to do with them, or how to tell what this 2nd card it formatted to. Im assuming FAT16. ? And not sure what that means in terms of getting the other card to cooperate.
    Ubuntu will recognise FAT16 file system, why not pop the card into your PC and enter in the terminal

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    You may see something like this

Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  1967MB  1966MB  primary  fat16
    When you have established that your PC can recognise FAT16, then you can reformat the un-coperative card.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Let me get this straight becuase I am confused now. The second card works in the camera and you can play the video back in the camera? But the card isn't recognized in Linux? If so, then it has some weird proprietary format.

If that is so, then the first card was formatted to the camera and nothing is going to read it but the camera. If the first card doesn't even work in the camera, then it sounds like a bad card.

Correct me if I have this wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am currently running an identical 32gb card in that camera with no problems.

To reiterate, the issue is, i installed a 32gb card into the cam. It asked me to format it. I did. The next day, removed the card to install in pc. No mount. So reinstalled in camera, it rejects it also. I have several other cards that work fine in the cam now. Including one identical to the problem card.

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Ubuntu will recognise FAT16 file system, why not pop the card into your PC and enter in the terminal

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    You may see something like this

Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  1967MB  1966MB  primary  fat16
    When you have established that your PC can recognise FAT16, then you can reformat the un-coperative card.

Alright, with the buggy 32gb card in, this is the response I get.
    Screenshot from 2020-07-14 00-49-48.png

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I was expecting you to display the result of a working SD card - not the misbehaving card, which does not have a partition table.

Can you remove all external drives/devices from your PC, pop in the known working SD card and run
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    from the terminal.

Please post the results within code tags because it is easier to read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12