Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 20LTS stalls in installation

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20LTS stalls in installation

I cannot yet see a way of switching WLAN through the BIOS setup. Other than options I can see are obviously irrelevant, the ones on offer are:

Intel AES-NI
    VT-d
    Asus EZ Flash 3 Utility
    SMART settings
    Network Stack Configuration
    USB Configuration
    Graphics Config
    SATA Config

None of these appears to relate to WLAN, but I'm willing to be guided!

The one consistent thing at present is the message line I copied in my OP, when I tried allowing the Ubuntu I'd installed before messing things up to try opening.
    The USB just now allowed me as far as the "Try Ubuntu" / "Install Ubuntu" stage. I pressed "Try" and got the same screen full of scrolling lines, ending in
    AER : PC1e Bus Error : Severity=Corrected, type=Physical layer, (Receiver ID) device [8086:9d15] error status/mask=00000001/00002000 [ 0] RxErr
    Does this mean anything to anyone here?

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

AER is "advanced error reporting" which fits with the gazillion messages you get.

Perhaps this can help?
    https://itsfoss.com/pcie-bus-error-severity-corrected/

Otherwise I suspect WLAN is under "Network Stack Configuration".

Beans

Thank you, that's interesting.

I wish I could understand more of the linked article, but it does seem to describe what I'm getting. It also assumes the reader can open a terminal, and at present I can't, as far as I can tell.

...Though I got quite excited just now when, on again experimenting with opening the Ubuntu I first installed, no USB inserted, it got as far as allowing me to sign in with my password, The icon top right of screen while I signed in indicated that WiFi was successfully connected.
    Now it's frozen on the purple screen, so I got no further.

Meanwhile, "Network Stack Configuration" in Setup leads me only to an option of Enabling or Disabling this. Its default setting appears to be Disabled.

Am I yet in danger of needing, reluctantly, to head to my local computer guy for him to reload Windows?

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

If you have a partial boot without the USB-stick, try again.
    From my link:
    "If your system doesn’t show the grub screen, press and hold shift key at boot. In some systems, pressing the Esc key brings the grub screen."

Then go into recovery mode from there and follow the other instructions. I'm quite certain that your log files are immense from the error messages.

GRUB stands for "Grand Unified Boot Loader" and will load both Linux/Ubuntu and Windows for dual boot.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; July 9th, 2020 at 07:39 PM.

Beans

Thanks.
    Unfortunately it won't let me in even that far now. Repeated attempts with no USB in place stall at the Ubuntu Logo, sometimes brief appearance of progress wheel, then nothing. Holding the power key to force switching off fills the screen with the now familiar error messages until it goes off.
    I tried with the USB again, and at the GRUB screen thought to experiment with "Install Ubuntu for Manufacturers" but when it got to entering a batch password, or something of the sort, for this installation, to refer to error logs, I chickened out, as I feared getting further out of my depth with what followed .
    I am almost resigning myself to paying the local repair shop to re-install Windows and being stuck with that, which really wasn't the plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12