Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partition Confusion Help Me Identify Them

Beans

Re: Partition Confusion Help Me Identify Them

I found a video that explained root, swap, primary, boot, and a few others. Notes were taken. It showed the purpose of each type of partition and how to create them using Gparted. I went into the live USB and tried working with the largest partition and dividing it. That failed. The program wouldn't give me the choice to divide it.
    The tutorial video wasn't very old. So perhaps the tutorial had outdated information.

While seeking tutorials, another video was found. It was about how somebody had given up Windoz for a GNU/Linux distro. It was inspiring. When I went to do a clean installation with just GNU/Linux it failed.
    It got to 70% and failed. The existing partitions and Windoz OS were gone. Upon restarting there were no boot loaders so the laptop just grabbed the live USB and booted into it. I tried again and got the same error message. Fortunately I created a Windoz recovery drive. All that could be done was to insert the recovery drive and see if it would work. It did. It took a long time but now the HDD is 100% Windoz 10... again. At least this starting point should make it easier to dual boot the computer or do a clean installation. By the way, the check sum was checked and it was an uncorrupted live version. Holy cow. I'm actually grateful that Microsoft created a way to save a computer for us ignorant people.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Only if doing a server install or encrypted entire drive with LVM may you need /boot.
    And installer now uses a swap file, so separate swap partition not required.
    With UEFI systems the ESP - efi system partition (shared with Windows if dual booting) and / (root) are all you need.
    Do not over complicate it.
    If a bit more advanced you can add a separate /home partition, but additional partitions add complexity and more effort maintaining system use.

If Windows has its fast startup or hibernation on, that will cause issues.

Some have issues with one flash drive, one download, one particular port on system and various issues that we cannot confirm but they report. When they change or redo then it works.

Some systems also need boot parameters to work.
    Acer are almost identical across all models.
    Acer Swift 5 (2019) ctrl-s in UEFI required to be able to change to AHCI mode.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1217...rtitions-shown
    Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-54-5649 Intel Core i5-10210U Install Tutorial
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2437702
    Acer Aspire E15 will not dual boot, many details Trust settings in step 35
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/62741...-not-dual-boot
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
    I went into the live USB and tried working with the largest partition and dividing it. That failed. The program wouldn't give me the choice to divide it.
    Sounds like you misunderstood the tutorial (or it's spectacularly wrong). GParted doesn't divide partitions, and never did. Rather, as mentioned by someone upthread, you shrink the partition, which can take a long time, then create new ones in the newly-freed space.

Also, sounds like you restored the pre-Budgie Windows system. If so, heed oldfred's advice to use Windows tools to shrink the Windows partition (right-click Start and select Disk Management), then use GParted to create the new ones for Ubuntu. I prefer to complete all partition work before running the installer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12