Beans

Web browsers??

As a newbie, should I use chromium?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Web browsers??

Use whatever you prefer; there is no "should" to the answer and if it's of any consequence, I seldom use chromium, preferring firefox which I've used for as long as it's been around, about 22 years when it first grew out of the Netscape Suite.
    I think I was using Windows 98 at that point, but it's too long ago to be certain.

Chromium is available as a snap only unless you go the PPA route to get a .deb version, and snaps do have some limitations related to access to folders in your home, and not all of them can be used; I think everything you download has to go into Downloads; you will be prevented from saving files anywhere else, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; July 2nd, 2020 at 12:06 AM.

Beans

The proper question is do you like chromium. If not then use what you do like, you do have plenty of choices.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm a straight-up Chrome user, 'cause it works for me. Chromium is just as good and I have that installed. I use Chrome out of habit, as it was where I moved when I had unresolved issues with Firefox. However, I've been toying with using Vivaldi on a couple of systems. It does a decent job, seems even lighter than Chrome, and all my Chrome extensions work just fine - including the VPN extension. If you want to try it, the .deb is easily downloaded from their site. I see quite a few people recommending Brave (on other sites) but the Wikipedia page highlights some complaints.

Beans

I always use Chrome myself. Works well.

Beans

Why not just use Chrome? Chromium is a crippled, more buggy and perpetual beta version of chrome basically and is not well maintained.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Use Firefox Nightly and help make the release version better.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...sktop/#nightly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I come from the old daze before "browsers" came into being....everything was text based without pictures or video....
    when Mosiac came onto the scene in 1993, it revolutionized the internet...it was the precursor to Netscape Navigator
    which evolved into Firefox that we know today....

I have tried most of the browsers available....Firefox, Vivaldi, Chromium, Opera, Brave, Safari and so on.....including Internet
    Explorer( Exploder ).......I keep coming back to Firefox...
    they all have their strong points & weaknesses.....try some/several of them & use whatever you like best...

tommy
    Last edited by NM5TF; July 2nd, 2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: clarification
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans

I am also a fan of Firefox, which I use on my WIn 10 system. I also have Chrome and Edge on that system as there are things that just don't work right on Firefox - things like printing a list of bills set to pay from Wellsfargo. If something doesn't work on FF, I then try another browser. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. When I installed Ubuntu 20.04, it came with Firefox and I've had no reason to install anything else.

John

Beans

BRAVE all the way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast