View Poll Results: Should I upgrade my ubuntu desktop version from 18.04 to 20.04 ?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 60.00%
  • No

2 40.00%

Thread: Should I upgrade my ubuntu desktop version from 18.04 to 20.04 ?

Beans

Cool Should I upgrade my ubuntu desktop version from 18.04 to 20.04 ?

Should I upgrade my ubuntu desktop version from 18.04 to 20.04 ?

Beans

Re: Should I upgrade my ubuntu desktop version from 18.04 to 20.04 ?

Back up your data and do a clean install, don't "upgrade" especially if you have a lot of customization.

Beans

I second a clean install over an upgrade.

Buy a cheap SSD and install Ubuntu 20.04 on it that way if you don't like it or it has some issues you can always put the Ubuntu 18.04 drive back in.

I bought one of these 120 GB paid $17.99 + tax two years old zero complaints.

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/l5-lite-3d
    Last edited by poorguy; July 1st, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 18.04 reaches End of Life April 2023. So, there is no rush. To upgrade or not upgrade is a personal decision. If you are happy with what you have now, then stick with it until nearer the End of Life date and then prepare well. I think this is especially true for the person who is a user of a single machine.

The owner of a business with many machines will have different considerations. A purchase of new hardware might require the latest version of Ubuntu which would have the latest Linux hardware drivers. It might not be desirable to have machines running different versions of Ubuntu. So, a situation might develop where the organization has newer machines with the latest Long Term Support version of Ubuntu and older machines that need to be upgraded from the last Long Term support version of Ubuntu in order for all employees to be using the same version of the software and for the operating system of all machines to have the same length of life support. Forgetting to upgrade a machine or two when its OS reaches End of Life is not good security management in my opinion.

As a single user I am using 18.04 but I have have 20.04 on my machine so I can test it. I will be upgrading 18.04 to 20.04 in a few months time. In time I will upgrade the 20.04 version to 20.10 Ubuntu. I like to follow the development of Ubuntu.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; July 1st, 2020 at 11:22 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

If you have to ask then no. Why change something that is proven stable thus far. If all of your devices are working properly then no rush. Let 20.04 mature a bit before making it a daily driver. Personally I try to stay a release behind as I haven't any need for the absolute latest and greatest and much prefer something I can depend on. I probably won't even touch 20.04 until 22.04 is released. By then most of the kinks should be worked out properly.