Thread: SM58 microphone with Ubuntu

Beans

SM58 microphone with Ubuntu

I was looking to buy a microphone today, possibly a USB one, for singing. When discussing with some friends, one of them said he'd let me have an SM58 for free (edit: it has a XLR connector) - so now I'm looking at using the money to connect my computer* to that, instead of buying a microphone.

Guessing I'm looking at getting a sound card, but which one? Do we have trusted ones that work with Ubuntu? Not mithered if it's internal or external, really. £200 max.

Vox x

*I have a new Dell Precision 3431 SFF Workstation Desktop PC, Intel Core i7-9700 3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD M.2, DVDRW, Intel UHD
    Last edited by voxra; July 1st, 2020 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: SM58 microphone with Ubuntu

All you should need to buy would be a cable or adapter to adapt the 1/4" phone plug on the mic to a an 1/8" mini plug. (I am assuming that it is terminating into a 1/4 phone plug.) If it instead is terminating to an XLR, then you will need an adapter to go from that to either a 1/4" or 1/8". It will then plug into your mic input on the rear of the machine (or to the front panel if it has one there).

Beans

Thanks so much for your reply, Autodave.

It will definitely have an XLR connector - the SM58[1] is so old even *I* have heard of it, and I am 52 years old

I have a soldering iron, so can mess around with getting it to work.

I might try a straight adapter, but as I'm saving money by getting the microphone for free - I thought I'd get a sound card. Shure says[2]: "Still, even with your mic plugged in, you might not be all that satisfied with the sound quality of your recordings. That's because the onboard audio inputs on most computers aren't sensitive enough to pick up the signal from your microphone, so it will likely sound either too quiet or too noisy when amplified by your audio software."

So, I'm still open to sound card suggestions.

[1] https://www.shure.eu/products/microphones/sm58
    [2] https://www.shure.com/en-US/performa...-with-a-laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by voxra View Post
    So, I'm still open to sound card suggestions.
    The Scarlett 2i2 has been pretty painless. 2 inputs, tactile gain control, phantom power if you want to use something that needs it in the future. You just plug it in and it works.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So, I am assuming that there is no cable included with the mic then. If not, you are going to have to buy one, so get the one that terminates in a 1/4 plug. Then, get you adapter.

I would try the mic first before rushing out to get a sound card: you may find that what you have already is good enough!