Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does changing to Wayland or changing OS to Kubuntu stop from having screen tearing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wayland is misbehaving for me

Wayland is having issues suspending or shutting down for me. It works fine except for the power issues. I have an AMD Ryzen system.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Does changing to Wayland or changing OS to Kubuntu stop from having screen tearin

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Any editor can be used safely with sudoedit, even gedit, because the editor runs as the normal userid, not with elevated privileges. For example:
    Code:
    export EDITOR="/usr/bin/geany"
    Well, I've now tried sudoedit, and I don't like it, no matter which editor. It disturbs me that I'm editing a file in /var/tmp with a cryptic name (why in /var/tmp, /tmp should be enough, or?).
    It means that I'm not quite certain exactly which file I'm editing. I'll stick with my old way of doing this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does changing to Wayland or changing OS to Kubuntu stop from having screen tearin

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    Well, I've now tried sudoedit, and I don't like it, no matter which editor. It disturbs me that I'm editing a file in /var/tmp with a cryptic name (why in /var/tmp, /tmp should be enough, or?).
    It means that I'm not quite certain exactly which file I'm editing. I'll stick with my old way of doing this.
    Guess we know where security goes in the priority list there. Can't remember what filename you typed a few seconds ago? Sometimes I have that issue too, but then the great-grandkids remind me.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Guess we know where security goes in the priority list there. Can't remember what filename you typed a few seconds ago? Sometimes I have that issue too, but then the great-grandkids remind me.
    I see no security issues with the way I always do this (which you don't know).

Concerning my memory: don't worry. But sudoedit assigns a filename looking like a YouTube video to a file in /var/tmp.
    Like: /var/tmp/aPtjfj6675 which I did NOT type. OK?

I understand that sudoedit operates on a copy of the original file, but with several files open in different editor windows it's not an option. And I still don't understand /var/tmp vs. /tmp. In fact, /var/tmp is less secure than /tmp.

@QIII: you didn't like me pulling this thread back to the OPs question and deleted parts of my previous post trying to do that? Fine. This is apparently now a post about sudoedit.
    Great Job. And now you can ban me for being constructive.
    Last edited by ml9104; July 3rd, 2020 at 10:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12