Thread: nextcloud webdav

Beans

nextcloud webdav

I used to connect to my nextcloud server with Dolphin; this was (and is) the entry: webdav://ecloud.global/remote.php/webdav/.
    In these last times I am asked every time for user and password, and this is very annoying.
    I tried to creare an account network, following https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/16...ss_webdav.html,
    but unsuccessfully.
    I'd like to use Dolphin, and not another app (like nextcloud client). There is a way? I think something like webdav://ecloud.global/remote.php/webdav/ + user and password: but how?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jduns; July 1st, 2020 at 10:15 AM.

Beans

Re: nextcloud webdav

You could try including the username and password in the URL:
    Code:
    webdav://username:password@server/
    However, unless you're using the secure version of the webdav protocol, or connecting over a secure link like a VPN, this transmits your credentials in the clear.

Are you running Kubuntu? Are you using the KDEWallet to store usernames and passwords? (System Settings > Account Details > KDE Wallet)
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 1st, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you. Yes, Kubuntu. And yes: maybe the problem is that I had disabled KDE Wallet. Now I will try.
    EDIT
    Unfortunately no, even enabling KDE Wallet the problem is still there.
    I tried your tip, but unsuccessfully: I mean I didn't get any error message, but the tab remain white, empty. Maybe the problem is that my username in /e/ is an e-mail account (wirth an "@"), so or I put the whole e-mail name, and therefore I have two "@", or I omit "@e.mail" in my username but this makes incomplete the username.
    Last edited by jduns; July 1st, 2020 at 04:57 PM.

Beans

You can try
    Code:
    webdav://'user@email'@webdav_server/
    but I have no idea if that will work. If it does, you should be prompted for the password.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is a documentation link for nextcloud: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/18...ss_webdav.html
    It says the URL for Nautilus is: davs://example.com/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/USERNAME/
    or
    dav://example.com/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/USERNAME/ if HTTPS certs aren't setup.

For Dolphin: webdav://example.com/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/USERNAME/ They ignore the http or https aspects completely in that section. For my username, webdav://example.com/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/TheFu/

There are warnings and common issues in the link too.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 1st, 2020 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tested using the Mate Caja file manager and it connected quickly using the davs:// URL.

A popup username+password dialog was displayed that asked how long to remember the credentials - forever, this session, until reboot. It looked like a gvfs dialog from Gnome. It doesn't use a "real mount", so the /etc/mtab wasn't modified and nothing was shown under /media/{userid}/ or in /var/run/user/1000/gvfs

The problem is that opening data files (music or photos) fails to probably work. I think it is that the players don't know how to handle DAV URLs. I suppose if drag-n-drop file management is the purpose, then the file manager would be fine. If direct access to the files is desired, then using the webdav mount technique via an fstab or autofs mount would be more useful. Perhaps.

Beans

Thank you, but your tips didn't work. Eventually I stored the nextcloud password as automatic text...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jduns View Post
    Thank you, but your tips didn't work. Eventually I stored the nextcloud password as automatic text...
    Perhaps you could be more vague? Please?
    There were about 10 "tips" provided. I doubt davfs failed.