Thread: Installing Ubuntu in windows 10

Beans

Installing Ubuntu in windows 10

Hello, I have installed Ubuntu in windows 10 as I have read in the instructions. I went to the store and I looked for the app.
    After doing all , I have restarted my pc . Then I looked for Ubuntu, I have clicked on it . And the message is the following
    paoola@DESKTOP-JLM3MPQ:~$

what I need to do know?
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installing Ubuntu in windows 10

I have installed Ubuntu in windows 10 as I have read in the instructions.
    Please clarify what you mean by installed ubuntu in widnows 10 ? Please post the link to the instructions you followed and someone should be able to advise you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think the topic is about the Ubuntu environment app that can run on Windows subsystem.

https://ubuntu.com/wsl

To your question about “what next”...I think what you are seeing is the command line. This is where all the magic happens in linux. You could use this app to learn the CLI and perhaps some scripting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by aljames2 View Post
    I think the topic is about the Ubuntu environment app that can run on Windows subsystem.

https://ubuntu.com/wsl

To your question about “what next”...I think what you are seeing is the command line. This is where all the magic happens in linux. You could use this app to learn the CLI and perhaps some scripting.
    I think so too but we need clarification because just a few days ago we had a couple of users installing using wubi which is dead and was only meant for temporary installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

First thing to ask is: why did the topic starter install Ubuntu in Windows 10?
    Second thing to note: in the link that wildmanne39 gives it says that the Ubuntu terminal is installed,
    That means that you get a terminal, that is a text screen, in which you can execute Linux commands.
    If you don't know Linux commands this is an excellent way to learn these commands.
    On the internet you can find a number of .pdf files in which these commands are very well explained.
    I would have jumped up and down in the years I myself was learning Linux, but I am afraid the topic starter did not expect this.
    Knowledge of these commands is a "lifelong" investment ...

Topsiho

Beans
    Distro

As a starter you can look here:

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/command...ers#1-overview

Topsiho

Beans

I see no strong arguments in favor of WSL over a VirtualBox virtual machine. Plus with the latter, you're not limited to running just the distribution images in the Microsoft Store.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Hello SeijiSensei,

There is (in this particular case): the topic starter has the terminal right before his nose. No need to install virtual boxes (does he know how to do this?).
    For the rest: of course you are right.
    Topsiho

Beans

Without denigrating the original poster, it doesn't sound like he's ready for a terminal-only version of Linux.

Is that really what you get if you install Ubuntu using WSL? No GUI? I tried using WSL on a Win10 Pro machine and could never get it to install WSL version 2.

Installing VirtualBox on Windows consists of downloading the executable from the VB web site and running it. Then you open the app, click on New, and follow the steps to create a virtual machine.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

+1 vote for virtualbox

You can also boot to the Ubuntu ISO on a USB stick (Transfer the file using Rufus) and try the OS there.

Is this what is needed, please? Just to try Ubuntu?