Thread: Upgrading from 18.04.4

Beans

Upgrading from 18.04.4

I think the time is coming to upgrade. I may have a problem on one machine. I decided, a your or so ago, to install kbuntu over ubuntu for some reason I can't remember. its been running ok since then (with some small livable problems) but I am wondering what this will do when I try and update. I would appreciate anybody's thoughts on this one as to how I should handle this.

Thank you................
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.28.2 OS: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Upgrading from 18.04.4

If it's Ubuntu 18.04, it will upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04. If it's Kubuntu 18.04, it will upgrade to Kubuntu 20.04. If it's a mix, it will upgrade to a mix. It shouldn't matter. But release upgrading isn't the most reliable process, so be prepared for a fresh install if things go wrong. The upgrade will be released in about a month.

Beans

thank you for the response.

Is there a way for me to get rid of the kubuntu part before I upgrade! That, hopefully, might lessen the load and possible mistakes?
    Memory: 14.6 GiB
    Processor: AMD® A8-7650k radeon r7, 10 compute cores 4c+6g × 4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 pixels
    GNOME: 3.28.2 OS: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

@jgw - I think Impavius is right. I believe that your best course will be to 1) back up all of the data you wish to keep (always a good idea anyway) and 2) perform a clean installation of your desired Ubuntu desktop (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.) then 3) restore your data from your backup. This is what I do whenever I move to a new Long-Term version of Ubuntu. It saves a lot of hair-pulling chasing things that aren't quite right.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

If you remove the KDE and plasma stuff it should remove the KDE bits but there is no problem using a mix of KDE and Gnome apps

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have you installed the Kubuntu parts by installing the kubuntu-desktop metapackage? In that case, remove the metapackage, then use autoremove. In an ideal world, that will remove all Kubuntu bits and get you back to a clean Ubuntu 18.04 system. Of course, we don't live in an ideal world.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With synaptic: search for the installed 'kubuntu' 'kde' 'plasma' packages, then select them for complete removal; you will then get a possible list of sub dependencies to purge too.
    As said earlier, use autoremove to clean the system; but the best solution is a fresh install anyway.