Thread: Ubu-20 keeps dropping my WiFi connection. Refuses to connect.

Beans

Question Ubu-20 keeps dropping my WiFi connection. Refuses to connect.

I have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS installed and use a USB Wifi adapter for my Internet connection.

When I start Ubu, my Internet connection ALWAYS starts disconnected. Clicking "Connect" tries for about 20 seconds then gives up.

I have no idea what's wrong. The WiFi connection worked perfectly when I installed Ubu from a thumb drive, including downloading "third-party" drivers and software, but now that installation is complete, it is extremely difficult to establish/maintain a connection (which I'll always lose a few minutes later.)

I'm typing this from Windows on the same PC using the same Wifi adapter. Any ideas?

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubu-20 keeps dropping my WiFi connection. Refuses to connect.

Please read https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108 and follow instructions. Post the results here.

Beans

Re: Ubu-20 keeps dropping my WiFi connection. Refuses to connect.

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded the script from Windows to a thumb drive, copied it from the thumb drive to Ubu's Downloads folder, changed the Permissions to "Allow executing file as a program", and as noted at the link:

[NOTE 1: Since Ubuntu 13.04, Text Files open up in text editor even if they are made executable. To change this-
    Open any folder > go to Files > Preferences > Behavior tab > select "Ask each time" option under "Executable Text Files" section.]

But when I go to "Files" ("Downloads" folder open. Ubu 20.04), "Preferences" does not appear in the menu.

I tried to change "Open With" to "Run Software", but that didn't work either. I might be able to execute it from the Terminal if I knew what command to use.

TIA