Thread: USB dongle recommendations for Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros?

Beans

USB dongle recommendations for Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros?

Hi all - this should be an easy one!

I just set up a Linux desktop PC for a family friend who bought it as a second computer and wants to set it up in a room away from his router, so he won't be able to hardwire it via ethernet to his router.

Does anybody have suggestions for a cheap USB WiFi dongle that works plug-and-play with Linux (preferably Ubuntu or Linux Mint?, from Amazon or elsewhere (and would preferably also work plug-and-play with Windows10 as well as his other computer runs Windows 10 and he may swap their locations in the future)?

All suggestions are welcome, so certainly point out any at all that you are aware of, but one caveat though - he would PREFER one that has a detachable antenna, like this sort of thing:
    ...reason being is that he mentioned he may move it to the workshop in his heated/wired garage to use there as he works at some point and the antenna that comes with it may not be strong enough to get a signal from the WiFi in his house, so one with a detachable antenna like this would let him buy a better separate antenna to plug in to increase the signal strength.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Beans

Re: USB dongle recommendations for Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros?

asking the same question. I just need a dongle that can just plug in to Ubuntu Studio 2+. I don't know enough to install drivers or anything.